Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 8 free Cup of Soups because I did. This is routine for me because the grocery stores just don't program their computers correctly. If the shelf price is different than what the computer scans, you get the item free. I always check my receipts everywhere I go and often find errors. Have seen reports on the news about how the stores make lots of money at the consumers expense because we don't notice the discrepancies. Beware!

·
Registered
86 Posts
:smhelp: I sure wish I had the time and motivation to do this. I typically pick it off the shelf assuming I'm going to get the price I see. Makes me wonder what I've missed.......great job though!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I try to watch as they are being scanned, but that isn't always possible. I always check my receipts when I get home. If I question something I will walk off to the side and then look over the receipt, or just question the clerk before the transaction is done. You do have to really watch, stores are terrible about not programming in the right prices.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I usually dont watch much when they are scanned but if I find a discrepency I will go back to the store.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I just watch while they are scanning the items. Once they scanned my apples in twice. I doubt it was on purpose, but I pointed it out.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
this is one main reason that I try to go to the store w/out the kids :D I watch as they scan the items - and while I am sitting in the car, I double check the receipt.

I think it's great that you got 8 soups!! WTG!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I also watch while they scan. I have never found and error but I do know, like someone else said, that business make tons of money from register errors. I guess we all need to be more aware of our scanning or checking our register tapes a little better...thanks for the blog....Kathy

·
Registered
261 Posts
I watch as things are scanned and if I have any questions I ask... If I'm still not sure about prices/item count I step away from the register and check. They really can getcha if you don't watch...

I really like the U-Scans (where you do your own item scanning and check out). I can really watch closely when I'm doing it myself! :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I double check our receipts for any mistakes, I also like to make sure all the coupon deductions got counted.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I try to watch while they scan, but if I can't then I always look over the reciept and I find a discrepency I am right on it. If I wait until I get home to do it then I call. I have been known to get home with my items and find something I don't recognize on my receipt and call the store to find out what it is...So far it hasn't been anything I didn't want to purchase, just didn't recognize it on the receipt. I live too far away from most of the stores to wait till I am home though.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I don't because I always have the kids with me... I'm usually more concerned with keeping them under control. I do watch when they scan my coupons, though, to make sure they go through right.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I haven't been checking but I will now!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i try to pay attention as things get scanned but i only check the entire receipt if the total sounds really off , as i try to keep a running total in my head while im shopping

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I watch while they scan, I only give the receipt a look over if it came to more then I expected. I keep a running total in my head, that total is without using any coupons so generally I my total is well under what I estimated.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I always look over my receipts plus when I have groceries delivered the delivery guy goes over it with me to make sure that I got what I ordered & if there was anything out of stocked or that had to be changed then I go over it again & sometimes I find errors that always end up in my benefit because if you order something & you don't receive it they reimburse you & quite a few times I have gotten FREE items because I was given part of someone elses order & they don't have drivers come back for them they just tell you to keep whatever it is you have. Last time this happened I got a FREE case of coke :D The other person always gets reimburse for what they didn't get as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i was thinking i was in luck the other day because i was charged a different price for a bag of iams YEPPIE I went to the shelve then went to the supervisor told her it was priced wrong she went back to the shelf it was marked wrong BUTTHE LABEL HAD A DIFFERENT SIZE PACK so i did not get it for free bummer :pdoff:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I do this all the time but its hard when the cashier scans at warp speed and shes caught up to last thing you've put up on the counter and are still unloading. I prefer to scan things myself if I can but most of the time I do two things: (1) have a running total of what the subtotal should be and (2) pull over after Ive bagged the groceries and STUDY the receipt until Im satisfied - if not I will ask them on the spot and its not like I left the store and came back.

Remember.....a penny saved is still a penny earned - it all adds up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Checking receipts

Yes!! ...and Albertson's is the worst for being inaccurate. I even brought it to the manager's attention that every time I have shopped there I get mischarged on at least one, or more items. All he had to say was "we are 99% accurate"...then I must be a customer in the other 1% group! That's okay, I just keep collecting free stuff from them! It can be a pain to check the receipt everytime, but the free items usually make it worthwhile :)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I spend a bit more and shop at the nicest supermarket in town (United Supermarket) and the cashiers unload the basket and they don't begin scanning the groceries until you are at the display to see it and they have sackers that actually sack your groceries properly and will take them to your car with a smile. I have never found an error on any receipt from them. I could shop at Walmart and ~maybe~ save a couple of dollars but the aggravation and irritation from shopping there is not worth the couple of dollars and they ALWAYS have a least a few things that scan wrong, I sometimes wonder if that is an accident or not, I mean how many people miss the misscanned item and they have made extra money. I also notice that the items are always scan more expensive than they are suppose to be and never less, hmmm, another reason to wonder how accidental it all really is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts