Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened across this article and it struck me so funny. Apparently my SIL is a criminal! LOL! She's got quite a little business going. She makes baked goods for her friends and their friends, and so on. These are people who want home baked goods, but just don't want to spend the time or energy making them themselves. She makes all kinds of quick breads and cakes.

I've been guilty of this criminal activity myself, I've baked countless pies, cakes, cookies, main dishes, side dishes and breads for church and other reasons. :chef2: I've even been known to purchase these illegal goods. I wonder if the food police are going to be knocking on my door! LOL!

Do You Eat Illegal Baked Goods? | Food Renegade

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It's crazy isn't it. I fell down this interesting rabbit hole, when I decided to start selling some of my truffles, raw bars etc and have to rent a commercial kitchen to do it which is fine. But..... one of the other people who started renting made an appointment for inspection for herself and they came in and destroyed the rest of our things . To the tune............................................... of 2,000 dollars worth of organic fruit in freezer, pastry shells made with organic flour , raw bars all for an event I had in two days....sigh it was awful.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It's crazy isn't it. I fell down this interesting rabbit hole, when I decided to start selling some of my truffles, raw bars etc and have to rent a commercial kitchen to do it which is fine. But..... one of the other people who started renting made an appointment for inspection for herself and they came in and destroyed the rest of our things . To the tune............................................... of 2,000 dollars worth of organic fruit in freezer, pastry shells made with organic flour , raw bars all for an event I had in two days....sigh it was awful.
Who destroyed your things the other renter or the inspector?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Who destroyed your things the other renter or the inspector?
The inspector, as the person didn't tell the rest of the kitchen renters ( caterers etc) that she had an appointment, and they couldn't have anything prepared in freezer, or anywhere as they didn't know if it was hers or not. One of the caterers lost much more then I . He was so upset.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had a funny thought. Can you imagine a raid on a church bazaar? I can see it now the FEA (Food Enforcement Agengy) coming in with guns drawn, shouting, This is a bust! *giggle* *snort* *giggle*

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Isn't that just crazy?

I noticed (and inquired) that some of our schools quit having "home baked goods" at their craft shows, which helps support the Senior Party. They were told they couldn't do it anymore.........which was REALLY SAD as I liked trying the things. Now they have to have 'bakery goods' which gags me!

But.............the churches can still do it...........and I was asked to provide food last fall for a volunteer thing that I do........what??? Go figure..........

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think if you are giving away baked goods then you should have the right to bake away to your hearts content. I think if you have a business with the intent to profit, you need an inspection and should pay Caesar his due.Would love to have our business in the home, making a profit, without regulation or tax!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What the heck. The government lets food people do crazy stuff to our food all the time. Heck most of the stuff is stripped of any thing good in it, all in the name of keeping us safe. Right, they are doing more harm than anyone. How did we ever survive this long having bake sales and church luncheons without killing everyone in town???? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR Oh yeah and the dreadful lemonade stands! You can't even be a kid anymore. Who comes up with now these things that have been around all our lives are bad now?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
36 years ago, and that's a while back!.. I took a cake decorating course & started making wedding cakes for cousins & friends. Well, being so proud, I sent a picture to the decorator who gave the lessons. I also bought supplies from a cake decorator in my area. About 2 wks later from sending the picture, 2 men in suits came to my door, they were State Health Inspectors!! I had been turned in for an illegal kitchen. They WENT thru my whole house, plus basement, looking @ everything & anything. They made notes of everything they saw. I THEN had to sign a paper saying I WILL never take food out of my house... & that included picnic food etc that wasn't taken to family. And then they said they could get technical and even not allow for family!!!!!!! I was totally speechless & crying!! After they left I called the lady I took lessons from & asked if she did this to me, she refused to answer plus stated she could sue me for slander... It could have been the other cake decorator. So, I stopped making cakes & I had only done 3- 2 cousins & a friend! I kept my wedding supplies all these years & made my youngest dau's wedding cake, 3 years ago. To h*ll with'em!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The EU is full of stuff like this. On the island where we live, there is an amazing traditional cheese that the island is actually famous for, and it's is illegal now because no one on the island has been through the HUGE arduous expensive licensing process. But everyone eats the cheese anyway. Makes us feel like we're getting away with something. The police officers eat it too :p

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG! I can't believe this happened to you Ali Lee! What a scary and up setting thing to endure, I'm sure it still bothers you 36 years later, I know it would sure bother me! I know the laws are there to protect consumers, but come on people ever heard of over protection. Kind of suchs the fun out of bake sales!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add, they took pictures. Took pictures of my sink area, the kitchen ceiling light, the doors into my home, my oven, the floor, frig. They might have taken pics of my ugly basement-I didn't go down with them. My oldest dau was in her high chair & we were eating lunch. By the end I was crying & I have often thought since-they were "thrilled" being there. Why would you add "we could get technical" to a obviously upset woman who was saying..I can't take food to my neighbors or family? I always thought they were getting paid by the person who turned me in.... I got a glimpse of the letter but, couldn't see the signature. I'll probably get a knock on the door this week.....LOL... (We lived on a farm in the boonies, hubby not @ home--just me & my baby-scared me to death)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find the whole thing ridiculous. My Mom baked wedding cakes & celebration cakes on the side while I was growing up, bills would not have gotten paid otherwise. And the first apartment we had had been a baker's apartment. Our landlord let him put in double wall ovens so he could run his business (I loved having 3 ovens!) I KNOW this was not legal. Heck, women out this way often run supper/lunch kitchens. Guys knock on the door and the woman hands them out a platter of whatever the days fare is for a few dollars. No one blinks an eye. Mostly it's labors and people who rent rooms that have no kitchens that buy from them.

We have lots of underground businesses here, people are sinking and they are doing whatever they can to not drown. There's hair salons in basements (a local woman I know cuts hair $5-$10 a head) and nail salons, massage (legit, no happy endings, though I'm sure there's those too) Daycares, garden vegetable stands, and scores of other businesses At this point I kind of figure you've got to do what you've got to do to survive so if someone's running an illegal business all you're going to get from me is a shrug of the shoulders.

I can see how lumber would be selling right now. I'm not sure what our townships rules are, but I'm going to look into it. I'll be following all township laws concerning small livestock, but I have heard of apartment dwellers raising rabbits indoors. People will do whatever they've got to to survive. Good jobs are scarce and I fear that wages and hours are going to continue to be low, while the cost of living is going to be high.

·
4,028 Posts
Not as often as I would like.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Not the illegal baked goods I originally thought.

Anyway, I buy pie pans from the ladies at the church. It's unfortunate that they're getting to the point where they forget to take their pie out before giving me the pan, but I'm not going to tell them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.