Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't fear growing older at all. What I do fear is that some of the benefits I enjoy now won't be there, such as health benefits.

As we grow older, our health often deterioates and with our health care system in Canada, I do fear that most of the benefits I now enjoy won't be there. It does give me more incentive to keep working at my health.

How about you, do you have fears of growing older?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm not a third ager, but I'll reply anyway. (I'm close enough) ;)
I do somewhat fear aging. I don't like the idea at all. Life is just so terribly short. I look at my son and he's doing things that I still remember like they weren't very long ago. I can't imagine my children growing up and one day there they will be-all grown up.

I already feel limitations that I didn't have before. I fear what new ailment I may end up with. I fear as I age, that Gabe isn't taking care of himself as much as I want him to and that I may end up alone.

My fears don't consume me and my faith keeps me from true paralyzing type fears, but I do get a little anxiety if I think too much about it all.

Not much I can do, but live moment to moment and be as happy as possible and love as much as I can.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I absolutely hate the idea of growing old. I don't want to be dependant on others for the basic needs. I would be happy being 35-40 for the rest of the time that I am here. (I am 33 now so I am open to a few years of aging.):toothy:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I am absolutely completely PETRIFIED!

I remember being 14 years old like it was yesterday literally.

Having my first child (now 17) seems like a breath away - he was a new tiny baby, where did it all go? Now he can drive a car, drink alcohol and LEGALLY get married and have his own child!!!!! :eek:

I already consider whether I am 'too old' to wear certain clothes.

My life seems to pass faster the older I get and life IS very short!

I often worry that I'll be lying on my death bed having passed up all the things that 'really mattered' and only then be able to see it. :(

I do feel before I know it - it will all be over and I've started thinking also that's the gift I gave to my own D/children to look forward to as well :(

I'm going now LOL - YES I'm scared and I'm very Depressing to listen to as well LOL

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I am beginning to be afraid of getting old and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am now taking care of my 86 year old FIL. He is totally dependant on the family for everything! It breaks my heart and scares me to death. He just isn't the same man he was 20 years ago when I first started dating dh. So much has changed for him and it scares me to think that some day I am going to be in his shoes and needing help!!!!! He is adament about not wanting to be put in a "home" and we are doing all we can to respect his wishes but it isn't easy!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Yes, there are some things that I am afraid of that were mentioned above. However, there are a few perks that am looking forward to like grandkids, having an excuse for my forgetfulness:toothy: , and being able to have osme time with just my DH.:D

Plus ladies, lets look at the alternative, would you rather not get older??? I'll take life over death any day!:angel:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My answer to that is "Think of the alternative." You either grow old or die young. I don't fear getting older at all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't fear the process of growing older (but I'm not thrilled with it either), but I do fear the future for my daughter (with developmental disabilities) when I'm no longer here. This is where planning and a lot of faith come into play I guess.

Not much we can do about getting older except enjoy each day as it comes and not waste them worrying too much ... because we don't get them back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not fear growing older: it is a privlege a lot of people never get.
My fear is the process of dying. I abhor the thought of slobbering onto bibs and peeing in a pamper tied in a geriatric chair::( :( :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts