Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see wheel chair ramps, I see buses fitted for wheel chairs, etc., but sometimes I feel were still living in the dark ages when it comes to disabilities for any age.

Once in awhile, I see an adult working in a store that has a disability, but not often.

I watch as people stare at our Michael because he has Down syndrome and then whisper about it.

I see kids being accepting of our kids, but then their parents not inviting the kids to a birthday party or to play.

We have a large prison in our province and 80% of the men there are FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome). I hear our friend's cry for help for their son who has FAS and they can get no services for him now that he is 18 (other than welfare).

Money is allocated to a certain extent but it often goes to the wrong places.

Can we honestly say that in 2002, things have changed for children/adults with disabilities of any type. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
no i don't beleive we have as a society accepted disablities, in the sense that if there isn't something physical then people are looked at diffrently. Mental illness i think is still very much in the closet and so is other disorders of the brain. Some day i hope that we all accept everyone. Children live what they learn i try to remember that but i find it hard. if these children are not learning to accept everyone equally how will they teach their children.
I do want to add, i am rooting for everyone on this board, I cry more from joys that i hear here than i cry from sorrows in my life. :angel:

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I think it depends where you live--some states are much further ahead in their self advocacy and deinstitutionalization process. When the less abled are a part of the society for a longer period, they will be more accepted. I have personally been surrounded by mentally handicapped persons for as long as I can remember-my fave cousin is 10 years older than me and mild-mod mr and my mom always brought students home, so it has never been an issue for me, I thought everyone had friends like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts