Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age would you suggest?

Our province is now looking at testing older drivers and the question was on the radio as to what age and should there even be tests.

Personally I think once you hit 75 you should be tested every couple of years. How about you?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Definitely, once they hit 70, they should be required to take a driving test every couple years, once a year would probably be better- since when you're that age, your eyes and reflexes can go downhill fast.

And I'm also a firm believer that if you can't walk, you shouldn't be driving (whether it be from old age, being drunk, or whatever). I hate it when I see someone who is elderly get out from behind the steering wheel, shaking like a leaf and can barely even walk with a walker.

On the other hand, we had a neighbor, she was I think 92 ish at the time. She was sharp as a tack and one day I was driving behind her in her little Plymouth Reliant and she drove just as good as someone 1/2 her age. I was really impressed.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I think they should be tested every year after age 70. I know these words may come back to haunt me, once I reach that age.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Our state requires drivers tests every year after age 75. Sooner if there has been any moving violations- even a speeding ticket.

About the no driving if you can't walk- I know lots of paraplegics and quadraplegics who drive safely. Also- my dh has days when he can't walk well due to leg weakness, but is able to drive safely.

·
27,948 Posts
I say age 65 a vison test in person every year. No automatic 4 year pay and your all set junk. Doctors & family both in agreement can bring a loved ones "right to drive" to the scrutiny of the dmv at any time after that age.
Certain major changes in anyones health (any age) should also be a concern to the DMV. It makes me so sad to read or hear about how many people have been killed by people who "didn't see" "the brake was stuck" or "red light, what red light". We've all driven behind them or near them and boy it's scary. Unaware of space, time & demention. Offer to drive, take the keys, talk to their doctors & family members...:hugz:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ha! Darlene, that reminds me of one of my great-uncles, except he wasn't "red light, what red light?" His thing was "That stop sign wasn't there 50 years ago, so why should I stop for it now?" Uggghhhh....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, I think drivers should be tested regularly after age 70 - 75. My DGrandma used to fuss at me for saying that but I do think you should have to give up your personal freedom to drive if you become a danger on the road.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Yes, every year after 70. I took my grandfather's license about 2 years ago and he hasn't driven since, it was for his safety and that of everyone else on the road.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm all for testing for people 65+ and doing so every year.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I thank that once they hit 70 a road test should be given every year. I know that when I'm 70 (hope) I won't like it, but it is for their safety as well as everyone elses.
Jeanna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts