Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~Who do you gift them to and why do they like them? What have you given or will give this year?

I've always made it a point to give my kids a few secondhand things for their b-days. I don't want them to think that everything cool *must* be new in the box. Plus, many vintage toys are made so well that it ends up being a better bargain anyway.
This year they're getting books from Half and trains from Ebay. :)
I wouldn't hesitate to give my parents something used. I learned my thrifty ways from them. ;)
DH is finally at a place to appreciate gifts from the thrift store or trade-in racks. A used game is every bit as good as the new one next to it, just $10-15 cheaper. And if you buy cheaper you get more gifts!~

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have no problem giving used gifts to people on my side of the family and to my kids and grandkids. This year I got 3 great kids books (about 25 cents each) at a library book sale that will be gifts. One for my nephew is a glow in the dark sticker book, brand new with all the stickers. I usually get him used nintendo games from Game Stop,too. There are some people I couldn't buy used for........

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Short answer is yes. Yes, I do.

Normally to family kids, Hubby, my mom.

I have given used ones to others partially if it didn't look used or was something I knew they would like or want.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have at times, yes. One year I gave my brother a beautiful silver knife set in a case which was in excellent condition. I had purchased it from a nice consignment shop. Over the years I've given things that couldn't be bought new, like something from an antique store.

Also, sometimes DH has been wanting a particular movie which is unavailable except used on Amazon or Ebay, etc. and he's thrilled to get it.

G

·
I have given used things, but I care more about how the recipient would feel than whether it's used or new. If DH really wants a game and I find it used, great. If I see a toy at a yard sale that DS would love, great. But I don't go out of my way to specifically give used things as gifts.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Yes I do. I have given many used articles to everyone on my list and they never knew the difference. It was always something I knew they would love. So shhhh, don't tell my secret. :D

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
DH gets used books. Neither of us has a problem with reading 2nd hand. I have given OOP VHS and DVDs to friends, at their request also. Sometimes "new" titles just can't be found.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Absolutely!!!

This year I found loads of books at the library for 25c each; most were new, but there were some old cookbooks, which folks in my familytreasure. Also found a wonderful used woodworking book for my dear Hubby.

Found some large ceramic bowls at a thrift shop that look like a giant coffee mug, and has "Chocolate" inscribed on the side. I filled them with Hershey's kisses, tied saran around it and topped it with a big bow. These went over GREAT!!

My sister found glass pickle trays at some yard sales. She paired it up with a new pickle fork, and a jar of her home canned pickles for a wonderful gift last year.

My folks give us kids family pieces each year. I collect crockery, so they give me a piece from their home. I treasure these.

My grandkids have caught on to this idea very well. For my birthday, they went yard saling and bought me a book, a wooden goose and a wooden moose, along with a scrapbook stamp. As granddaughter said, "Grandma likes presents better when they come from yard sales!"

I am honored that someone took the time to find just the right old, vintage, antique gift for me. It means so much more to me than something new. And I don't try to hide that something is a used gift. I don't make a point to brag about it, but if someone asks where it came from, I'll be honest..... and proud!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
my immediate family dh kids etc
if its something they want or collect they seem to like it fine

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Only for my kids, but I don't do much shopping for anyone else.

So far this year:

-A little tikes victorian kitchen. I paid $20 to order an extra burner decal and a replacement phone from ebay and it's still cheaper than buying the kitchen new. I can't wait till my 2 year old sees it.

-A bunch of hardcover American Girl short stories.

-A couple hardcover books about fairies.

-A toy laptop for the 2 year old.

- Four American Girl dolls, 3 for my kids and one for my niece.

- A very nice wooden stable for the Breyer sized toy horses. It's not too pretty right now but I'm going to sand it down, clean it up and buy a couple horses for it. I also bought a mini string of lights and some small presents that are supposed to be ornaments, and I'm going to decorate it before I give it to her and put the presents insids with a small tree. This is a really, really nice stable.

-A princess cookbook for my big kid.

My kids always get a few things that are used.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think it's just fine if they don't completely look secondhand..

My MIL use to give the kids gifts of things she found around her house, one year my daughter got dirty/smelly stuffed animals and a see n say that didn't work. I was .:pdoff: after they left..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I am incorporating second hand gifts into my Christmas gifts this year.
I will be baking my family gifts this year(cakes, breads, cookies, etc)and will be putting them on pretty platters and baskets that I have gotten from yard sales. I may even paint the clear glass platters with glass paint to coordinate with their homes.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Years ago, when my oldest child was little, every Christmas & birthday was secondhand entirely. I used to go to yard sales during the Summer and buy games and toys that were like new. I had very little to work with, sometimes a $1 or sometimes less, but I always managed to find games and toys for 25 cents, or even a dime. I'd always be able to get my Sister's kids a gift & maybe 2 or 3 for my own son for Christmas. Same for birthdays.

I also searched out old glass candy dishes with lids. I'd fill them with candy and secure shut with a ribbon. Or old cookie jars that I'd bake cookies and fill. These went to adults. Occasionally I'd find a really nice, within my budget male or female gift and I'd pick that up.

Now, if I'm out and I find something secondhand that I know somebody would love, I pick it up if the price is right. But mostly I shop 75%-90% off clearances throughout the year. It seems those prices are better then anything I've seen secondhand for years now. Maybe it's because of the area where I live, I'm not sure? But the prices at yard sales and thrift stores have been crazy high. I can buy the same kinds of things new at a better price on sale in the regular stores, and most certainly I can do better price wise when it comes to clearanced items. :(

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Maybe its just me but honestly, I wouldn't care if its 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand....as long as its something I can use and not clutter or a gift for the sake of giving a gift. I kinda believe in the 'one mans trash is another man's treasure' philosophy.

I have given a gift of something I owned and cleaned up b/c I know someone close to me would put it to good use. :)

I also believe in re-gifting as well. ;)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Goodness YES! My kids get probably 80% 'second hand'....it allows them to have a nice present filled Holiday without us breaking our budget. I also give second hand to my best friend, another 'thrifter', and my Father...I do NOT give second hand gifts to my other friends' kids (the few close ones we give gifts to for Xmas/bdays), or my in laws, unless they are 'new' with tags/box second hand items.....they wouldn't 'get it'. I do, however, have good luck finding 'new' used items at yard sales over the summer, so it helps. Great finds this year-
- HUGE Dora dollhouse, with furniture and figures, for 2 yo DD- $20, yard sale
- New in box Rescue Hero water craft from our local 'green center', with 10 Figures I bought at yard sale for $8, sold some off on eBay, got all $ back (so basically free, then), for 4 yo DS
-New, wrapped 'build a book' package for friends 5 yo, $3 at Thrift store

Not only is giving second hand 'thrifty', it's 'green', which is IN right now.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes i always find books second hand that are in great condition and are given as gifts. Last year i bought some nice glasses at the thrift store to go with homemade kahula. Many of my friends and co-workers shop second hand for the holidays. With the economy and being green I know i have seen many more people shopping at thrift stores, yard sales, church fairs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.