Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok aside from the monthly grocery challenge do you have a set budget for groceries? A budget that NEVER changes?For example.....I have $50.00 every 2 weeks for groceries.Occasionally there may be a bit extra and I go from there but for the most part its $100 a month.At 1 time it was $60...a month:eek:and we were fine So what is your budget or is there not one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've always had a really hard time sticking to a budget. Just recently, I've started taking out $80 once a week - and that's my money for the week. I use it for groceries, haircuts, stuff for the baby, etc. Dh gets $40. Once our cash is gone, we know we're out of money & can't spend for the rest of the week. So far, this is working ok...we're in our third week.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I try to keep my grocery down to $150 maximum a week, but since I buy very much in large quantities, the loss leaders, I can go lower than that like $100 a week.

It may sound like alot, but we are 7 at home.... :D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
sure we do- otherwise we'd spend way too much money!

I budget $70/week for groceries- that includes pet foods, H&B, all the stuff I buy at the grocery store.

If I can get it lower than that- the excess at the end of the month gets thrown at our debt.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
The monthly grocery challenge is my budget! LOL! I cannot go much over that amount or it will have to come out of some other area. If I know that I have a big chunk of $ that will have to be spent on smething (like a 50 pound bag of powdered milk), I'll spend less in the precceding months so I have the $ on hand or just have that much less money to spend in other grocery areas.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi everyone! I know it has been a long time since I've been on here. I've been very busy with this baby. Who would have thought?

I try to aim for about $75 a week. Don't forget I live in Canada and food is almost double here. :mad:

·
Registered
948 Posts
My only set budget is the grocery challenge. Although, dh and I are terrible about eating out (getting much better though)! We've recently decided that ~$180 a month can be taken out of our paychecks as cash. This cash pays for everything we buy - little things like a gallon of milk, haircuts, or my garage saling, but must also pay for any eating out we do. Along with this, we've stated an amount that we want to put into savings each month. We've just started, and things are very tight this month, so nothing will get saved, but next month dh should be done paying child support (woo hoo), so that will be an extra $430/month!!!:D

·
27,948 Posts
No, but we have a lot going on this and the next few months(homeowners & car ins, college etc.) & are using up our stockpile of pantry and freezer staples to get us through this money crunch time. A lot more "making do" is happening around here.:)

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
No- I have a problem with authority and tend to rebel even against myself saying that I can't do or have what I want--go figure. I find what works best for me is just keeping my goals of putting away a certain amount, getting the most for the least and just really watching what I spend.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I don't have any kind of budget and thats my whole problem lol

I use coupons,doubles when I can,and always shop the sales.I don't just walk in the grocery store and pile all kinds of food in the cart,but if one of the kids want something,I usually let them have it. I do try and watch what I spend but no,I don't have a budget :(

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I do have one, my problem is sticking to it. I do try to keep it at $50 per week or less, that is for 3 people, DH, DD and myself. We usually do pretty well unless we have a special meal to buy for or DH is hungry when he is at the grocery store, LOL.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have never had a budget but have been working towards getting something more defined in place. I have done a good job tracking our spending and "fixing" the leaks (the big ones anyway) and would like to become more disciplined about our overall expenses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts