Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is much better with his money than his family, but he still likes to spend money--it's driving me nuts! Has anyone been through this, and do you have any tips for me? He is impressed when I save money at the grocery store, but to him everything else is just pennies saved here and there. He doesn't understand that it all adds up. The ironic thing about this is that he's an Accounting Manager and has to harness the spending that goes on in the company he works for :laugh: Maybe he just gets tired of doing it and doesn't want to think about it when he comes home; I don't know. But whatever the reason, I'd really like to win him over to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yes and no.Yes because he has to have cereal all the time for lunch snacks whatever and gets mad at me when I go to the store and don't get a lot of junk.And he wonders why he's lost 15 lbs since we've became frugal.No because before last summer I was the spendthrift and a sahm and he kept wanting to know why I spend all his money,well I finally caught on and decided that since I am not working I need to make it my ful time job to save money.It is working we have paid of 3 debts since then and will have another paid off at the end of this year.Plus we will hopefully beable to have quite a lot of money to put down on some land.i won't go into his family though Man are they spendthrifts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
My hubby is a spender. When we have the money he will spend it and if we don't he won't. I am to the point were I might just say we have less then we do because I am tired of not having enough at the end of the month.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Michelle,

Put it into a Excel spread sheet and show him where is goes......

for example no that $3-5 dollar coffee, ect.....isn't that much but if you X 5 days and X 52 weeks in a year it really adds up, I think guys need to see it in black and white....

Also sometimes it helps to be shooting for a target, example I want to put X amount into a EF.....

JMHO,
leezza : )

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No advise, just sympathy. Mine is a spendthrift, I'm super frugal, so it does get frustrating at times. He loves it when I save money too, but sometimes I feel like were walking over dollars picking up dimes. He forgot his entire account of company vested stocks expired at the end of January. We had A LOT of stocks (and dollars) that are now gone :thud: He also spent $645 at the apple store getting toys for the kids this month and has yet to turn in healthcare account reimbursements for last year even though I've reminded him countless times. I just remember...as I clip coupons in a 55 degree house... that if we both lived the way he wants, we'd be broke. I will say he goes in spurts. He has been very good for a long time, but lately, I'd like to pull my hair out!

·
Registered
626 Posts
In your case, it may be better he gives you the money to allot for the household... and not leave it to him to do the shopping.
If your very good at finding deals, you could have some extra money left over every week that you could keep for an emergency fund.
I'd start out by saving all reciepts and going over them ONCE with him as to how much he will contribute...

this will also give him a good idea of what the costs are monthly.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wow, this is a really old thread, lol! But a good one . . .

I just remember...as I clip coupons in a 55 degree house... that if we both lived the way he wants, we'd be broke. I will say he goes in spurts. He has been very good for a long time, but lately, I'd like to pull my hair out!
OMGosh! I can so relate ~ you guys sound just like us!! Our biggest problem is always our differences in how to spend/save $! It drives me crazy!!!! :loop: He does give me credit and tells people if it weren't for me, he wouldn't have two dimes to rub together! :laugh:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Would he be willing to take a cash "allowance" (though maybe you shouldn't call it that :laugh:) and let you handle the rest of the money?

·
Registered
956 Posts
My Dh is quite the spender too, but, thankfully, he realizes that and lets me handle the money. He does get a weekly "allowance" (we just call it spending money LOL), like Christa suggested, and I split any extra money between his personal "mad money" savings account and the emergency fund (1 part his account, 2 parts towards emergency) It's what works for us, but like I said, DH admits that if he has the money in his pocket that it will be gone in a heartbeat, and this is the way HE wants the money handled. We do discuss all large purchases and I keep him up to date on things bills/account balance wise.

·
4,028 Posts
OMGoodness is he ever!

Our decision to get married was because he was in a financial bind... he didnt' change his witholdings after his separation/divorce and realized that with the extra taxes AND his DEBTS he was in a very tight bind. So I gently suggested he marry me that year so I would be the tax deduction he didn't "unplan" for.

In the 5 yrs I have known him, he took a consolidation loan to help with his 30K cc debt but he wouldn't give me the ccs. He quickly racked up another 20k in just a few years. When he refinanced the house to roll in all of the debts the deal was I hold onto the cards! It has helped tremendously. And though he does hold one card for travel, emergencies or for the great deals we do come across online that he will purchase (- after talking with me about the need) the revolving debt is now less than $500 and he is working to pay that down.

He is still an impulsive shopper and likes his hi-tech toys. But last fall it finally hit him: he is in his late 30's and works for someone else and if he doesn't get his financial act together he will continue to work for someone else till he retires. (Most people are ok with this as am I.)

He is learning to save, to use coupons for his toys, and is starting to say no to his impulses. Last week he found me making homemade laundry detergent and asked if it really saves money. Of course I gave him the BJ's price for the huge tub of name brand laundry detergent (about $18) and the approximate $2 to make an equivelant batch. He was really surprised how much it saves and is willing to use the HM stuff now.

He's getting there! :fdance:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts