Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know various organizations will warn you to always have stocked a certain days' worth of non-perishable food and water for everyone in the house, in case of an emergency. I mean like a natural disaster or something that would prevent you, worst case scenario, from leaving your house or being able to cook anything or get any water. Does anyone do this?

This summer I stocked up on various canned foods that, if necessary, I could eat without cooking. I wasn't really sure what to get or how necessary this really was.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I always stock up on things when there are good loss leaders. At one time I had a years supply of tea. I have a freezer full of stuff that I could eat on for a long time. I do need to replenish my stock of stuff. I'm low on some of the canned vegetables.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I don't stockpile things we don't normally eat. We always have things like peanut butter, tuna, crackers, applesauce, and bottled water on hand.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We stock pile for emergencies. Mostly the normal things we'd eat -- but I do keep a supply of energy bars, and such for an extreme emergency.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We have enough food on hands at all times to last no less than two weeks. We shop once a month and I make sure there is more than enough to last longer if needed. There is always lots of tuna, canned goods, rice cakes, cereal bars, fresh fruit, bread, etc...Plus we have the manual can opener close by incase the power is out.

We also keep food in the back of my Durango. I keep a rubbermaid box filled with chips, cereal bars, bottled water, diet soda, oranges and apples. It is meant mainly for emergencies (and keeping the chips out of easy reach in the house) but, all of the boys at the ballfield know we always have a food box in the truck and they help themselves to it almost daily - keeps it from going bad I guess.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I do most of my shopping at the beginning of the month and I also have at least two weeks of food in the house. I am getting low on canned goods right now, but we have a couple jars of peanut butter and a few cans of tuna fish and some crackers and cereal on hand. I worry mostly about a long power outage, we would mostly be eating PB&J sandwiches and canned veggies. :) LOL, I think it would get old pretty quickly, we have enough food in the freezer to last at least a month. I guess if I could start a fire outside I could warm food from the freezer. My entire apartment runs on electricity, so it wouldn't be pleasant to run out of power for very long this time of year.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I keep a large well-stocked pantry in the basement. I always stock up when things are on sale. I am careful to rotate my stock so things don't go bad. I am sure I could go quite a while just eating up what we normally keep on hand. for water we always have some of the big water cooler jugs on hand.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I try always to have a stockpile of canned good , peanut butter, tuna etc. We also have a camping stove and a couple bottles of propane so I would still be able to cook.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I don't usually during the winter. When Hurricane season is upon us I like to have extra canned food, water, snacks, anything that you can eat with out electricity.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I stockpile canned goods year-round. I also have a freezer full of meat, so if we had a way to cook it, we could eat well for several weeks with no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I don't stockpile specifically for emergencies, although I seem to have a reputation with my family for doing so. I buy loss leaders, and I like having a lot of food on hand, so if there was an emergency we would certainly be able to make do. I only buy food we use, and most of it needs to be cooked, but if there was a situation where we needed to survive without power, we could get by on peanut butter, dry cereal, etc.
We drink bottled water and usually have lots on hand and I typically buy 12 cans of apple juice at a time.
I keep meaning to put food in the car, but never remember.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
We stockpile for winter and summer emergencies. Lots of tuna, beans, peanut butter. Just in case the power goes out. In the summer we stock up on water. There has been on occassion that we lose power and then for some reason the water pressure is very low when it storms here. We also keep lots of candles and batteries around.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We have a 2 year supply onhand at all times. I also buy lost leaders even if we have plenty of whatever on hand. We rotate and keep well stocked. Have 545 gal. of water that is changed out about 2x a year plus we have a flowing spring. What ever we use in a week is put on the grocery list and when we see it on sale we buy it back up, then rotate. We feel that family members and friends can also come to hard times so we make sure that there is plenty. Never know even a neighbor may need help.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not at the moment but I am planning on doing so starting this month.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm not that organized about it, and sometimes would have trouble with the water, but I always have food around. Used to get teased by coworkers that a family of 4 could live out of my car for a week (that was when I was doing frequent emergency runs of 800 miles). I pretty much always have canned/dried food that I could be happy with for several days, in case of illness/weather/whatever.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a stockpile of food that my family likes to eat. When there is a sale, I stock up on them especially if I have good value coupons to use to get them cheap or free. However, we still like our meat, bread, milk, and produce fresh. That is all I buy every week; as far as canned goods, cereals, health and beauty items, we have enough to last a year. I have given away a lot to family and friends ever since I learned couponing because I got a lot of items dirt cheap, if not free.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I am not even trying to stockpile but it's almost automatic that when I even begin to get low on something I buy a lot of it so it's always there. I don't think I will be needing toilet paper until 2008. Same with shampoo and soap.

My trouble is not being able to use everything before it expires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts