Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be a thought provoking question.

I do, set it up many years ago. Instead of insurance, we take a monthly payment and put it in a savings account for the dogs. I'm glad we do. It paid for a five day stay in ICU for my dog.

So, do you do this; or am I just weird?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We put aside money every month for our dog, it includes money for the yearly shots, exams, heart worm and flea meds and grooming.

We don't have any specifically set aside for ER visits though. She will be 7 this Feb so I guess it would be a good idea to set aside a bit extra now that she is getting older and problems can start to come up.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have an envelope that I put money in for routine care & sick visits. However, it was not enough when our Suki got sick and it sent us scrambling to gather money together for her care.

I've since started adding extra money into the puppy fund. I'm not sure just how much I'd need to feel comfortable, Suki's care and surgery was very expensive.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I think it is very smart to have money put away for vet bills etc. I use to have a credit card with a really low interest rate I would use.

Well as you know there arent any more low interest rates and I am still paying on the vet bills from Trouble. Things can get Very expensive!

·
19,119 Posts
Don't think you are weird at all - very proactive. If we did have any pets, we would want/need to do the same!!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We barter services with our vet and pay for medications. I need to refund their account though as they are getting older.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Last year we spent a lot of money on our Hannah. She was 14 years old and she did pass away. I did not have savings set aside for it and it was tough. I am working on a budget now and you can bet that I will put in a place for emergency and routine vet care. I love my furry babies!!

·
Banned
96 Posts
I used to. But now that I have no income coming in and no Unemployment to fall back on the main emergency fund has to include them too. I hope things turn around in this crappy economy and employers start hiring "FULL TIME PERMANENT" employees again soon!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This is probably not the answer people are wanting to hear, since I have credit card issues, but I have $5,000 CareCredit card for my pet emergencies. It wouldn't go too far in a super-duper illness but in the past I have easily dropped $800 for one incident so I figure with 5 dogs, that's $1,000 each and heaven forbid anything would happen to all 5 at the same time.

The interest rate is horrible, but since its only for medical or veterinary expenses I have it on hand and don't touch it. (as compared to when I have free space on a normal credit card)

CareCredit Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I had (have) a credit card with a large limit and zero balance on it, and it is my emergency card, just in case, but after a prolonged illness with my parrot, Froggy, resulting in a cash output of close to a $1,000 by the time we were done, and then a scare a few weeks ago, when I found a lump (which thankfully turned out to be a fatty tumour) on my dog, Riley, I have decided to start a pet EF in 2011.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We put aside money every month for our dog, it includes money for the yearly shots, exams, heart worm and flea meds and grooming.

We don't have any specifically set aside for ER visits though. She will be 7 this Feb so I guess it would be a good idea to set aside a bit extra now that she is getting older and problems can start to come up.
Wow, 7 years and no incidents? Count blessings on that one. All of mine have had at least 1 incident and only 2 of them are older than 7.

(and I mean freak things outside of the care you list above)

I would suggest to try and set aside $ for dental (if you don't already) and comfort things as she ages. i.e heated bed, pet ramp if its a larger dog you can't pick up to put in the car, senior food or diet need changes, etc. Having a 10 yr old dog I'm seeing the aging take affect now. You are such a good, practical owner to be so prepared for your pet, I need to follow suit.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nope. I have no interest in paying an exorbitant amount to keep the cat alive. So far, the wife is in agreement, but we'll see what happens if/when the time comes.
Have you and wife discussed what that "exorbitant amount" is? An actual figure?

I ask because my friend and his wife had the same agreement but never set an amount. They had very different opinions of what "exorbitant amount" was once the dog of 16 years was in the hospital horribly sick. I exaggerate not when I say they dropped 10k on the dog only to lose it. Emotions kicked in and one spouse said "do it" and one said, "no let it go" it was a real serious situation for both of them. I think it would have helped if they had pre-agreed to a said amount. Then the person saying "no, let it go" could have also said, "we agreed, honey, on X amount, remember?"

I think another thing that would be good to agree on is an age at which care will then be reduced. (gee, maybe the 16 years they had reached with their dog?) so if they agreed to 10k at the age of a 4 yr old dog (unthinkable amount for me, but hey I'm not then) they would then agree that at age, say 10, that number drops to 5K?

I dunno I just think that once those emotions kick in, as it did for them, everything goes out the window if there aren't agreements to fall back on.

Me, I'll refinance my house. (hahahah kidding. maybe. I have no one to answer to but myself)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Have you and wife discussed what that "exorbitant amount" is? An actual figure?
I told her I wouldn't spend over a couple hundred, she agreed. Again, this may change on her part if a situation came up, but I highly doubt I would budge. We keep our spending money separate, so far, and a pet emergency would most certainly come out of the spending money, since we would both have to agree on spending out of the other funds.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is probably not the answer people are wanting to hear, since I have credit card issues, but I have $5,000 CareCredit card for my pet emergencies. It wouldn't go too far in a super-duper illness but in the past I have easily dropped $800 for one incident so I figure with 5 dogs, that's $1,000 each and heaven forbid anything would happen to all 5 at the same time.

The interest rate is horrible, but since its only for medical or veterinary expenses I have it on hand and don't touch it. (as compared to when I have free space on a normal credit card)

CareCredit Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures
We had this care credit. It was used because i had $7,000 dollars in dental work down but they go by your credit and ours was like 8% interest and thats not bad for that type of card. We paid it off in 18 months very large payments.

Reactions: krbshappy71
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.