Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can be a woman, a man, or even both. I will start by saying that Princess Diana of Wales was my absolute epitome of what a strong woman should be, and I nearly worshipped her from the age of 11 (I'm 39 now). I bawled for days when I found out she died, and still cry for the loss of such a wonderful woman who did so much for so many. Her sons must be mighty proud of having such a wonderful mom who the world just loved with good reason.

Who's next?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
My Mom, Her mother and Her Mother. All stong women in their own right. Great Grandma came to this country with 2 small children one of which was slow. Her husband had left her back in Germany and come a year before her. She made the voyage on her own! Then she setup a dress shop in her apartment in Chicago and started working and saving for HER farm. She raised 10 children on that farm in Northern Wisconsin after coming with almost nothing from Germany.
My grandmother left that farm and went to Milwaukee to become a teacher. She worked at the Old Soilders Home cooking and cleaning to make her own way.
Throught the war she was an activist for womens and childrens rights. Establishing daycares all over Milwaukee for the kids of moms working in the factories. Have a letter of Thank you from the mayor on my wall.
My mom left Milwaukee with 3 kids, one dog and a bowl of goldfish to set up house in Largo Florida. We would go out in the stationwagon on trash days and collect furinture which she reuploshered and fixed up to sell. All women could figure out more ways to feed a family on a pound of burger and a sack of taters then you could shake a stick at.
I admire them and all they have done to make my life richer.

Laurie in Bradenton

Reactions: Darlene

·
27,948 Posts
What a tribute Laurie.:heartsm:
No idols here but I admire nice everyday people. People who make others smile.

·
4,028 Posts
My BFF's dad who approached the county to make his farmland into a park instead of selling it to developers during the height of the housing boom.

My Godmother who has traveled the world and tells great stories.

My Mom.

Eleanor d'Aquitaine.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Mother Theresa
Rosa Parks
Elizabeth Anne Seton (aka St. Elizabeth)
My 3 sisters
and as someone above said--my Mother, Her Mother, and Her Mother, same on the paternal side.

·
Banned
236 Posts
When I was younger it was people like:
Albert Einstein
Marie Curie
Robert Cess
Robert Goddard
and Wernher Von Braun

As I got older... my list became:
George Carlin
Lewis Black
Gabriel Inglesias
and Carlos Mencia

Today... I don't really have a list. Though I still tend to pay more attention to those willing to speak their minds... even if it offends others (heck... even in spite of offending others).

Jason

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would definitely have to say my grandfather. There are so many reasons why I could not possibly list them all.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
There are many to whom I look up. I have definitely placed them on a pedestal. My parents and grandparents are tops, and have influenced my choices, decisions, and values through the years. Hubby is on a pedestal, too. I admire so many things about him: his patience, his dedication, his work ethic, his sincerity........ I put my sisters and brother up there for how they have overcome adversity. I have a dear friend who can always do everything better than I can, and I love to watch how she handles things.

When I look at this list, I see that each one that I have set up on the pedestal have a trait that I desire, but don't do well. So I revere them for how they do it well.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My Ninny and Poppa (grandparents on Momma's side)

Helen Keller

Annie Sullivan (Helen's teacher)

Eleanor Roosevelt

Mother Teresa

Jimmy Carter

Princess Diana

Alice Cooper

·
Registered
945 Posts
There are many people I admire but I don't really idolize anyone except Jesus. I don't mean that in a religious zealot sort of way, I just think of idolization as meaning that you want to be like that person and no matter what greatness anyone has achieved no one is perfect. Besides I really just want to be me. :D Of course I do admire traits in many people, including:

Thomas Jefferson
Steve Wazniac (sp?)
Thomas Edison's mother and Ansel Adam's father (homeschooling extroidinaires)
Oprah Winfrey
Martin Luther King Jr.
Warren Buffet
My maternal great-grandmother
my friend Shirley
my BF Lori-Ann
my children

·
Banned
236 Posts
Steve Wazniac (sp?)
Wozniak

Good guess though!

Most people who try to spell his name from memory (or phonetically) usually aren't anywhere near that close.

Jason

Reactions: elphie

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't have any "idols" either ... I have never heard of any humans that had consistent qualities that deserved worship.

However, I admire my ancestors... all were hardworking and faced incredible odds. No "rich" among them. 2 great great grandmothers raised 7/8 kids by themselves after their spouses' early deaths. One married a drunken abuser and she actually was able to divorce him and hang on to her home and family. (1875).

Pope John XXIII, Mother Theresa and Elizabeth Seton, Helen Keller are people I admire.

I don't admire most stars, politicians, and "royals", but I do admire Chuck Norris ... not so much for his acting ability but for his determination and his consistancy in building his life. He ordered his career and stardom to reflect his values and didn't compromise them just to get ahead.

John Wayne ... for the same reasons above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts