Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through another ruthless throw it away week here......I look at some things and think, why on earth have I saved this??? At the time it seemed like a good idea picking it up, purchasing it, whatever...I had good intentions for it and then here it sits. For example....I bought a foot stool (older style) and was going to recover it, never have! And here it is in my way and bugging me that I haven't completed the project. Well, it is now in a big box that is being filled for Goodwill. And to tell you the truth a weight has lifted that I don't have to worry about it anymore..........who says "stuff" isn't emotional!! lol!!!

What about you?:smball:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Oh, my goodness! I save so much for *if I need it some day...* ....sigh...You're right, Heather; stuff can be emotionally draining. I have a hard time in parting with some stuff...but I know I should. Our home is just too small...

In 2 weeks, I'm going to try to get rid of lots of stuff at a garage sale...then I'll give the rest to our church...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Yes, I do. I have no clue why. I guess it is like you said, an "emotional" attachment. I have to finally make myself get rid of it and not think about what I could have done with it or where a perfect spot for it was.

Feels good to be free from the "clutter" doesn't it?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Great question Heather. I use to save "stuff" for the exact same reason, until I decided to really get serious about simplicity.

When I realized that I could donate or give "stuff" away and make others happy, the emotional attachment wasn't there anymore. I begin to think specifically about where to give or donate my stuff and when I got serious, it made it so much easier.

An example was my china cups and saucers. I had way too many, couldn't display them all and they took up room. They also took away from the ones that I really wanted to display. My oldest dd loves china cups and saucers like I do, so when she came out one time, I gave her a box full. To watch her eyes light up and to see the grin on her face made it all worth it to give it to her. I've done this numerous times with family or friends and the rewards far outweigh keeping all the "stuff".

The interesting thing - everything I've given away, donated or thrown out, I've never regretted it and have never found I needed it again. If I had, I would have just gone and rented it, found someone who could loan it or made something else work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never have collected much stuff,but I am guilty of keeping what I do have"for a rainy day" I think it comes from my grandma being aroung during the depression,and teaching me not to waste. i do need to declutter,the girls are notorious pack rats too!!!!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is so true about giving things away and seeing the enjoyment another person is getting from it. That does make me feel better. And I can say that maybe only once I missed something that I donated. Since I posted last I have another box started for our Amish friends. What they don't use they share with their community. I have blankets, bowls (bowls seem to multiply around here!!:D ) and a black winter coat.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have collected too much but with this move, I have also chucked a lot of it... It was hard at first but the thought of moving it across country certainly changed my mind.

·
27,948 Posts
Duh!?! Sorry, I couldn't resist. You just never know when you'll need xyz. It is so very liberating when you get rid of xyz. I vote to purge.:D

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
One of my problems though-is that even though I have saved "xyz" I never know where it is and drive myself nuts looking for it and ripping things apart saying "I know it's here somewhere"
:lol:In the last 2 weeks, I have been purging my house of "stuff" and it feels so freeing!!

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
If I keep it,I never use/need it.if I throw it out,I want/need it back lol

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Guilty!!!!:( I have so much "stuff" in this house that I need to get rid of. Unfortunately, the boys have inherited the "packrat gene" from me.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have had a big time problem trying to throw stuff out, as i wind up looking for it when someone asks if i have one to give them or loan them, lol then i look all over the house till it dawns on me i threw it out. But I have been getting rid of all kinds of stuff, and it feels much better in the end to have gotten rid of it. I have had a heck of a time trying to donate stuff to the salvation army, goodwill etc. because once i decide to donate stuff i can't wait to get it gone till their schedule date for pick up, i waited a month once and can't do it that way again. With the kids, it is difficult for me to load the car, drive to the donation center, unload (they won't unload here either,) then load up what they don't want again, etc etc. I have thought of going after dark and unloading in their drop boxes, but there is a big sign about after hours drops being unwanted too.....i got off the subject again didn't i? So much lately though I have been getting rid of things as often as i can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a huge pack rat. I've got drawers, cupboards and baskets full of stuff that I haven't opened in months. Do I reall need anything that's stuffed in there? I think we all know the answer but it's so hard to part with it.:bang:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I am a stuff-a-holic........ I try to change but it's hard..... I'm trying .............

·
Registered
578 Posts
Kristina Katarina said:
I am a major pack-rat. I always have been - its my nature. UGH. how to become a "thrower-outer"??? LOL!
Easy - You move!

I'm a big pack rat, but was able to donate/throw out tons of stuff to avoid moving it cross country.

I still have a hard time letting things go. I recently archived my music using I-tunes, so I'm weeding out about 125 cd's from my collection.
Let's see 125 x $15 = $1875! - very unfrugal of me. I wish I-tunes would have been around when I was growing up. I've blown thousands on music cd's over the past 16 years.

EDIT: just noticed this thread is a little old.... sorry about that... it was under the related threads heading, so I assumed it was newer.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Well I've got no problem with stuff. HAHAHA I clean out the houses of folks who have died or gone into assisted living facilties. I do this for families and real estate compnaies. I get everything and have I found a great system to pass it around.
Now think about this what would someone find in your home if you walked away now! This is what I deal with all the time. Everything from the food in the cabinets to the junk in the garage and the back yard shed.
We've done this for the last 15 years as a part of our business and I've worked out a great system.
First we box up everything and take it home to our 2 car garage (which has never seen a car). Then I sort it out. My daughters elementary school is the first to benefit. Craft, sports items and office supply stuffs go there. Now you'd be amazed as what is a craft supply to a teacher. Everything from junk jewerly to tupperware. Next is the furniture and suitcase. These items go to our county fostercare system. The suitcases are given to the kids for moving from home to home, gives a better self image than a trashbag for ones worldly belongings. The furniture is given to kids who are aging out of care. Once a kid reaches 18 there is no more money and sadly the kids are often shown the door. This furniture goes to help them start out in their first place. It may sit for a week or 2 in some area of my houme but not much longer than that. When the kids come for the furniture I also offer them the chance to pick out dishes, pots, pans and cleaning supplies. Since I started doing this I keep a running list of whos looking for what. Its been amazing to see how my name and number has been passed from one to another. So and so said you might have a this or that. Clothes go to several groups from the migrant families in my area to other locationg around the country. Yes, I ship stuff. No its not expensive the Lord always seem to supply the funds.
My 2 local spouse abuse shelters have also benefited from my cleaning.
Once Dh made the comment that maybe we shouldn't hold on to some of the weirder stuff but I said no some will want it. He picked up a box of picture frames and said "who'd want these." The next day we came home and on our answer machine was a friend of HIS asking if by chance we had any extra picture frames. Ha! Dh no longer questions the stuff! It all finds a home.

Laurie in Bradenton AKA Mother Theresa of Bradenton

·
Registered
58 Posts
Laurie ~

You are my HERO! It is unbelievable the lives you touch with your work. You obviously care for not only your local community but our world community.

Thank you for what you do.

I still need to be more of a thrower-outer. ;)

K

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
When I seperated from my ex in December, he made me take everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING that was mine. I'd spent years decorating our tiny apartment and he made me take all my decorations with me. Well, the other day, I started emptying some boxes and discovered so much of these decorations. As I looked at these pretty pieces, it occured to me that they do not have a place in my home or life anymore. They are very country witchy, which was the look I was going for in my old life, but it's not the look I have here. I'm trying to keep things simple and clean and pretty in my apartment here in the city, and what's more, these old decorations just didn't make me think of anything happy or positive. So they all went into a box, along with a bunch of crafty stuff that I'll never use again and some other odds and ends that I don't think are part of my life anymore. I packed up four boxes and have a good mind to go for more next week. We'll see just how ruthless I can be with myself. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts