Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throw them out. I always take the meat off the bone before serving the meat. Once I get a few bones frozen up, then I use them to make a broth with.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I save the bones from ham most of the time. Not so much with chicken bones unless it's breast bones. I haven't tried beef bones yet.

Deb

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I toss them

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Yup, they make good broth, along with any browned drippings. I don't like the vinegar trick though, it used to be mentioned in a lot of Rodale books and mags as a frugal way to liberate the calcium into the broth.

Makes the broth taste funny.

I like to buy bones once in a while for soup. the really good marrow bones with some knuckle bone parts and lots of meat scraps.

Roast them in the oven first, then make soup. Chill and discard the hardened fat.

But making it with fat before defatting is a flavour enhancer. Dh adores marrow on toast, but his cholesterol won't stand it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I save all bones too

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I use turkey and chicken carcasses right after we've had a turkey or chicken dinner. I don't freeze them or keep them around for any more than a day though.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I use poultry carcasses right away ..... I roast them and make a reduced stock and freeze it or use it right away.
I save beef and pork bones til I have enough and roast them til they are dark and make a reduced broth from them too..

·
Registered
134 Posts
of course! I make broth! save all the bones, then I strain through a coffee filter and can it. that is.. if I am not making soup right away!

throw the bones away? I don't throw anything away... I even make chicken feet soup! perhaps ya better not ask ROFL!!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
we save chicken and turkey carcass, boil it down strain then freeze. We also save hambones as well as bones for soup.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, I use all poultry and ham bones for soup. I don't buy a whole lot of beef, pork, or fish with bones in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I keep labeled zip lock bags in the freezer for different types of bones (beef, ham, chicken, etc.) and do the same for vegetable trimmings until I get enough to roast and then into the crock pot to make stock.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We keep them and toss them in the freezer. I make soup out of them. Well, if it is a hambone, then it becomes ham and beans. I always leave them meaty because I am lazy and that way I don't have to pick the bones so well.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just started doing this ... only with poultry though .. never really get ham bones / beef bones

1 - 20 of 24 Posts