Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started stockpiling. I talk to my bff and mom about it but so far I have not shared with anyone else. If it became neccessary to use the stockpile in a survival situation (pandemic, terrorist attack or depression) would you let people know what you had?

I would not be able to say no to anyone who needed food. But at the same time I wouldn't want my family to suffer.

What would you do? Keep it a secret and use it only for your family or share?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Secret..............yes.

That being said, I would help family and friends when and how I could.

But they do not need to know what I have available.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
i wouldn't be able to keep it a secret probably...the reason i say that is about 15 yrs ago i kept horses and i always bought the 1st hay cutting and filled my barn to the brim..(okay-i was a hay hoarder)
well one year we had a terrible drought and we only got 1 good cutting and a very dismal 2nd..which wasn't worth anything.... now this shortage brought the price of a bale of hay to about 10bucks each..with feeding a couple of horses a day...alot of people couldn't afford it and when the fields were over-grazed and you should be supplementing with hay- noone could afford to do it....the poor horses were suffering and getting awful thin...and me...being me...felt terribly sorry for all the neighbors horses...so i opened up the 'hay-kitchen' and started feeding everybody..... luckily being the 'hoarder' that i was i had enough to feed 200 horses (when in actuality i only needed to feed 3)....so i 'guess' i might feel sorry for people too if they needed it...(but only the one's i like)...haha

Reactions: MingKitty and suki

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
I talk about it with a few close friends when I find good deals (Hey, I just got 6 lbs of turkey for 89 cents a pound!), but I don't think any of them have seen what I actually have in the garage.

I'd be willing to help friends and neighbors on a limited case-by-case basis, but I'm not going door to door advertising what I've got.

·
Registered
977 Posts
No, it's not a secret... but, I don't really talk about it in any detail.
In my area, lots of folks have large pantries stocked. Sometimes we share how much canning we got done or good deals we find. In times of need, we are there for one another.

In the recent ice storm, I did go to my neighbors, knocked on their door and asked if they wanted a shower and a hot meal.

So, yeah... I'd share. Together we are strong.

Reactions: redmaples

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I'd share -- up to a point. . . in our area, pretty much everyone cans, stockpiles, etc. So, we'd likely be helping each other.

I do keep some soup mixes (enough for one meal - in 20 oz. soda bottles) to hand out to individuals.

But, no one really knows the extent of our supplies.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only you all know that I am stockpiling my friends know I am frugal shopper and that I keep a pantry but know one really knows to what extent except of course you here.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
you never know if you'll live or die. so money keeps on talking. that can of soup now cost $20 and if the neighbors want in there will be biding. i'm money hungry. i'll die hated, but rich. granted, they probably would have killed me for my food. :eek:uch:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
never thought about it that way before....but we have no friends or family that would come and raid our stuff.

but then I really only discuss my stockpile as my pantry. most people don't "get" the term stockpile....

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
We have a stockpile. The people that know about it are our closest friends and family. I will NOT devulge what I have in storage to anyone else. I know that sounds cruel and heartless, I don't intend it to be. IF something happened in the world, I would share with neighbors, friends and family BUT we also have the mentality that if things get really bad, we have to protect what we have to save those we love. Things are bad right now in world politics. If the worst comes to worst and the government enacts martial law...we are ready and we will help those who mean the world to us. Our neighbors have been on board with us for 2 years. We are covered from all sides and we cover them. We are a survivalist community within ourselves. I have always said.... be ready, be prepared.

Reactions: valerian

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i just started my stockpile today and now debbie's comment has me all paranoid now. must hoard. must hoard...

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Only family has seen mine and I plan to keep it that way.:skept:

Now, you guys know but I trust ya! :chef2:

My dh worries people will see it from the street but I have stood and looked and craned my neck so unless it is night and the blinds are open the only thing you have even halfway see is my HB&As and some of my dds new stuff for her future apartment.

Frankly will all of it mixed up it doesn't look like anything to catch anyones attention.

I am working on a years worth of food at about $225 a month x 12= alot of time and money and security for my family and extened family.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The only person who knows about it is my bf. Hubby and I don't tell anyone else. If I could I'd help out family and friends, but there are already 6 of us, so I don't know how we could really do that.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
i just started my stockpile today and now debbie's comment has me all paranoid now. must hoard. must hoard...
preparing in times of plenty is not hoarding -- hoarding to me is when you buy up everything in times of crisis. Having it stored up for a crisis is being wise.

If I went to Walmart today in IL -- and wanted to purchase oil lamps, there would an entire shelf full. I could buy every single one of the lamps and tomorrow, or later this week, the shelf would again be full. We have no power outage currently, no crisis. . .that is planning and preparing. . . but if I went the day of major ice storm - like is in KY/AK, etc. . and bought all the lamps, with no idea of when they would be restocked -- that is hoarding.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
preparing in times of plenty is not hoarding -- hoarding to me is when you buy up everything in times of crisis. Having it stored up for a crisis is being wise.

If I went to Walmart today in IL -- and wanted to purchase oil lamps, there would an entire shelf full. I could buy every single one of the lamps and tomorrow, or later this week, the shelf would again be full. We have no power outage currently, no crisis. . .that is planning and preparing. . . but if I went the day of major ice storm - like is in KY/AK, etc. . and bought all the lamps, with no idea of when they would be restocked -- that is hoarding.

JMHO
me likes:mdance:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Okay, I don't mean to freak people out! :) In my honest opinion...and alot of people think I am crazy....I believe we should be ready for anything. I don't dwell on it but I think that the way the current political situation is, we should be ready for anything. Danni, if I were you, I would think about re-locating as soon as you can afford it. Places that are close to the ocean are in danger. Oh brother, you probably think I am crazy but my major is not only in history but in environmental science..... things are going to change soon. Volcanos will erupt, earthquakes will happen and seas/oceans will swell.

I have become to love everyone on FV. You are all my close friends and family. I worry about those who are in vunerable places. All I can say is be ready. With supplies and be ready to move if need be.

Still....I didn't mean to freak anyone out! Just my honest opinion! ;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
big scholarship. i'll die for it. with this economy its death either way. i probably have a better chance with nature then in making money(ha. like that possible these days) without a college education. but, i totally understand what you're saying and appreciate it! i'm gonna go stock up more tomorrow. lentil soup in cans!

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is a very interesting question. If you don't show or talk about your stockpile to people are you keeping it a secret? If so, I am. I think I might be concerned that if people were hungry and knew I had food what they might do. It is too easy to say we have evolved into a polite society. An example is when people were without power and got cold some did extremely stupid things. To make sure our family has food, warmth, shelter and security is a base instinct. If their child was hungry, what might a parent do. I will share but I'll be damned if someone will take food needed for my family that I bought or raised.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Well said fixer!

Reactions: fixer

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are some great answers. It is definately something to think about. I would put my family first, but the idea of saying no to a hungry person doesn't sit well with me.

Sunshine, would you care to share your soda bottle soup mix recipe? I would love to have some of those on hand.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts