Frugal Village Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I started out just buying one or two extra items when they were on sale - MOSTLY things for hurricane preparedness. It has evolved over time. I have:

purchased a dehydrator, vacuum sealer, canning jars
Learned to pretty much cook from scratch - so I buy ingredients - not boxes, packages, cans of food
Slowly adding to my stockpile - things like powdered milk (used some last night in mashed potatoes because we were out of milk), powdered cheese, powdered eggs, freeze dried fruit, etc.

Money is REALLY tight right now. So we are using what we have as much as possible. I only go to the store about every two weeks and it is only for a few items.

I don't tell people I am stockpiling. I just tell them I am buying when on sale to save money. When people do show an interest and I tell them how to start stockpiling, their eyes generally roll back in their head and they continue on in their same old manner of using credit cards, spending beyond their means, and complaining about being in debt.

My stepdaughter (who knows I stockpile) was amazed that I was able to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies on a moments notice AND that I had all the ingredients on hand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't have a stockpile yet but when I do develop one I probably would keep it secret, more so people wouldn't think I'm weird than personal safety.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm new to this thread, however, I see the economy in general getting much worse over time. I have been stockpiling for quite a while and probably have enough on hand to get by for six months to a year. My husband, two beautiful daughters, and parents are my main concern. As far as sharing goes, I don't think I could turn anyone away who really needs help, that comes from the way that I was raised.

Everyone on here makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing and for all of the helpful info.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My current goal is 6months for food, 12 for HBA and shelf-stable or nonperishables. That said, I have 1 box of kleenex in the house right now that isn't opened, so I'm not rigid about it. As I get coupons and the stuff goes on sale, AND I have room, I get it. (I found a caselot of my favorite sausage the other day < 1/2 of what it costs in the market, didn't buy it...NOWHERE to put it...broke my heart!) :cry:

Judi

·
Registered
256 Posts
Potato Soup Mix Recipe
1 3/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
1 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
2 Tbs. instant chicken bouillon
2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/8 tsp. turmeric

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing until completely blended. Store in airtight container. Makes about 2 1/2 cups mix. To Serve: Place 1/4 cup soup mix in a soup bowl or mug. Add 1 cup boiling water and stir until smooth. Let soup sit 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly.

Thanks! Just wondering if there's a shelf life on this?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pasta Soup Jar Mix

Yield 4 servings

1/2 Cup Macaroni
1/4 Cup Lentils, dry
1/4 Cup Mushrooms, dried and chopped

2 Tbs. Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Tbs. Onion Flakes
1 Tbs. Chicken Soup Base
1 tsp. dried Parsley
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1 Dash Garlic Powder

Mix parmesan cheese, onion flakes, soup base, parsley, oregano, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. In a one pint jar, layer ingredients in this order, Spice mixture, macaroni, lentils, then mushrooms. Store with tightly sealed lid, until needed.
Use the following recipe to make soup, or place recipe on a card and attach to your decorated soup mix jar to give as a gift:

Basic Pasta Soup
Combine contents of jar with 3 cups water, in a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.
Again wondering about shelf life!

·
Registered
708 Posts
do you mean make this stuff ahead and put into jars

and yes if so how long of a shelf life would they have...?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Because of the powdered milk, and the Parmesan cheese, I only make them up and use them within 3 months. . . I don't know an official shelf life of them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would share with family, but they are not close. Neighbors... If the ones across the street asked, yes, the ones directly next door, NO.

We do NOT get along and I do not foresee any situation where we would, they would have to quit drinking and lose their gun. As invariably when they do one, they play with the other - not a good combo. And I dont appreciate being confronted by a drunk with a gun at night while walking my dogs on MY property.

I have no problems with gun ownership at all, but at least be responsible with it! Easter Sunday morning while kids are out easter egg hunting is NOT the time to play target practice... WITH NO BACK STOP.

So, no I would not share with them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ill say sorry first if i offend any one-i stockpile food and lots of stuff and also things to protect me and my family an if the government should go south i will share only with my family and if people come to my house and say we have nothing and you have some so you should share --- I DON"T THINK SO-- everyone should try to be prepared-- i will protect myself and family Ive been stockpiling/hoarding for many years and try to use as little i can of the stores and utility's --ill have a good size garden this coming year and will can a lot more to put away ill even try to make some solar driers next too so many things to do but when i pass on ill know my family will have a means to go on and survive the hard times coming

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Family mostly lives in other states. Some, little of hubbys family here....guess it would depend on who it is, the situation that has happened and how long one could guess it is going to go on, and if for a long period is there anything the other would have to contribute.
I think this could be one of those situations you don't REALLY know what you would do until faced with the situation that has occured

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
When I first mentioned stockpiling to my mom I got a strange reaction like I was crazy so for now its going to be my own little nut-gathering-for-the-winter. Her reaction surprised me because when living on a farm they did stockpile but she told me that was out of necessity of where they lived, but since we are in the city there's no need.

I disagree so I'm starting my own small stockpile. It'll be organized and I hope it will help me ride out the thin-money-months ahead.

The bf didn't think anything of me stocking up on supplies so I like that in the future he'll be on board as well.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I found out the hard way that if you tell people, they will come 'shop' in your pantry.

sooo - ZIIIIP.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I haven't told anyone. My parents are dead and hubby's live in another state. I might share with one brother, but I think he's a stockpiler too (lord knows he's always going on coupon buying frenzies).

Hubby and I might help a neighbor or two, but my general feeling is that people need to take care of themselves. We will do what is necessary to protect ourselves.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have posted in this thread before, now time has passed and I have come to the conclusion that I need to keep it on the down low for the most part.

My db lives close and is always in need at the end of the month. I don't mind helping a little but have told him he needs to make sure his ends meet. Not buy Red Bulls and smokes for who knows how much a month.

The other family members that do live close I would help and they know about it . I am sure that they have other things that would help out that we don't have. Generators for one thing.

One of my brothers who lives too far, he lives in Virginia and we live in Florida, saw it a few weeks ago for the first time and was a little taken back. Wondering what I was thinking was going to happen.

I just told him that we live in hurricane country and we have been through times with no power ect. The store shelves are picked clean and you never know when the stores will get food again after a store. Told him that since I know this is a good possibility we will have more sometime in the future why not be prepared. The Gov't can't be there in minutes like a lot of people think they should be in disasters. Of course I do it for more reasons than just that, but that takes some of the "She's a nut" out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a small stockpile, maybe enough for a few weeks but I'm adding more and more every week. I even have my hubby on board and we are making sure we have the propane bottles to cook on the campstove, we have 2 generators and a wood burning stove. We also have chickens and ducks.

I would share with my kids but they would have to move in with us to help with gardening, canning and the sort. I also have started on my quilts to help with the winter months.

WE have 3 acres but live right on a main road and I truly think that if tshtf, people WILL try to take what you have.

I also noticed today that wal mart has mre's in the camping department. I'm going to buy a few there but will buy a LOT at
areyouprepared.com.

Suzanne

121 - 137 of 137 Posts