Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to annuals, I can usually remember the names of the flowers, but the perennials, forget it. I always put the name near the plant, but usually it comes out and then I'm lost with the names. Dh was asking me last night the name of a wonderful perennial that is now in bloom with georgous deep orangish/red blooms and for the life of me I couldn't remember.

Do you know the names of all the perennials, or for that matter all the annuals in your flowerbeds?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nope - we moved in 1-1/2 yrs. ago, and I'm still learning what's in each bed. The previous owner had quite the green thumb, and planted many beautiful perennials!:)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I don't know the Botanical names but do know most of the ordinary names. Our eldest Son knows all the botanical names. I forget some too, especially if dh asks me--then it is instant brain-freeze! :D

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
LOl..I kill everything so this is easy. I have a purple Butterfly bush and a ose bush dd got me for Mother's day a few years ago. Evertything else died..lol.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Nope! I grew up in Hawaii, so I know those flower names, but not all the "Mainland" varieties. I have to stick those little white markers in the ground near my flowers so I know what they are! LOL!:eek:

·
27,948 Posts
No, many I forget. I made markers last year and the permenant marker came off so now I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I know the common names and some of the Latin names for everything we have. I took a few classes in horticulture at the community college a few years ago. I do find that my memory isn't nearly as good as it was a few years ago though, I really have to get the old brain cells smoking sometimes, lol :bang:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have no clue as to what I have planted out there!!!

I can remember that i have some daisies, babys breath, marigolds, columbine, uh...morning glories, nastutrtuims, and those are all i remember, other than my roses and raspberries i don't remember what esle...nothing is blooming yet. Maybe when the blooms are nice and open i might remember.;)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
With working with flowers for years, I know the common names and the botanical names. I have found many gardeners prefer to use botanical names. I think as long as in conversation both people can understand what it is being talked about....then it's all good. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I no nothing about flowers. I know that I have mums planted out front but for anything else, I have no clue what they are. I have some hyacins (sp?) and daffodils (sp) planted out back but that is it. I am very flower illiterate.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I made wooden tulip shaped markers that I paint the name of each new rosebush I plant on it so I don't forget. Other than roses, my yard is incredibly simple, so I can remember the rest.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I had to learn lots of plant names over the year we have lived in this house. I knew mums from my childhood, but everything else? LOL now I know all but one..... any ideas? Forgot to mention that the one flower on the left is a morning glory and not part of this plant. This one gets about 24" tall and has seed pods (green in pic right now) that turn brown and "pop" open! It looks alot like a snap dragon but itsn't.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Great idea Carolyn. I need to keep a garden journal. I would love to do one like they did in victorian times, but I think I will use photos instead of drawing them. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts