Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the rules are at your house. As kids we were sometimes allowed to open one on Christmas eve, the rest had to wait until after breakfast Christmas Day.

It bothers me that my BIL let his girls open the gifts I sent last week. I feel that kids need to learn patience, and they are going to grow up with an unwarranted expectation of instant gratification for all their wants.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Our tradition was always to open all our gifts on Christmas eve when I was a kid. We did the same when our kids were home. Sometimes we'd let them open one or two early, but we always chose which they could open.

When I was a kid, we always went to our grandparents' houses on Christmas day and I think that's why our immediate family opened gifts Christmas eve. The same schedule applied when we lived close to grandparents with our kids, and I guess we never thought about changing the tradition when we moved farther away.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to let a few presents be opened a little early at times.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
We never opened anything early. When I was still small, and later when my nephews were young, we did it on Christmas morning, but in the intervals when everyone was a little older, we did it Christmas Eve after dinner, then Christmas was just relaxing for the grownups and playing for the kids.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My sil lets her children open mailed presents when they arrive. When I was a child my mom had me open mailed presents when they arrived. I get thank you notes from from hubby's grandparents and aunts for their presents before Christmas.

I do not let my children open presents early unless that is the wish of the giver

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
When I was a small child, we opened everything on Christmas day. It's tradition in our family to sit in a big circle and take turns opening gifts & seeing what everyone got. As I got a little older (pre-teens) and my cousins came to spend Christmas with us, we adopted their tradition of opening 1 gift on Christmas eve (something the parents picked out for us to open & it was usually pajamas). Now we open all of our gifts again on Christmas day because all of the family nearby are adults & can wait ;) -- not sure what we'll do when we have kiddos!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Growing up, we opened gifts at my maternal grandmothers after midnight mass and luncheon. This is a French Canadian tradition. We'd have a supper at my paternal grandparents Christmas Eve, and baba would let the young kids open one gift after supper.

We'd open Christmas gifts Christmas morning at home.

Dh grew up, opening gifts after supper and a movie on Christmas Eve.

We continued with that tradition as we spend Christmas Eve with his parents. But they open gifts from us on Christmas morning before Chritmtas Mass.

It seemed so weird to go to a movie Christmas eve. I felt guilty as I do feel people should be home with their families. But those that work there, aren't those that celebrate it. The young people workign enjoy the bonus they get. We know several that work there now, and they request the time off, if it's important to them. There are enough that don't celebrate, that it's a non-issue. So my kids have grown to love the tradition of a movie before opening gifts.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't have kids yet but I don't think I would allow my kids to open presents before xmas unless that is what the person who sends them wants.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My family-of-origin allowed one present on Christmas eve before bed, which is what I do with my own children. Except this year. This year we are travelling to see the in-laws for Christmas, so we will be opening most of the presents on the evening of the 19th. They'll still have their presents from the IL's to open on Christmas, and their 1D tickets are very travel-friendly, so they won't be getting those 'til Christmas day.

Meanwhile, they are getting "real" American Girl dolls this year, as DD10 has reached the age with that has started to matter to her. I have not decided yet whether I will wrap those and keep them for the 19th or let them have them right away (all I know for sure is they are getting them before we travel, because I'm not schlepping those big boxes to Texas.) I think I'm leaving that up to fate and the postman...

But to address the original question, no, on the years we stay local for Christmas and receive IL gifts in the mail, we put them under the tree with everything else. Unless it's the gift they choose for Christmas eve, they have to wait until Christmas morning (but before breakfast.)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When my kids were small we opened gifts Christmas Eve. They knew these gifts were from mom, dad and various friends and family. On Christmas morning there would be one special gift from Santa under the tree and their stockings would be filled.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When we were young enough to still believe in Santa, we opened presents on Christmas. Once we were older, our parents moved it to Christmas eve. With my kids, we don't do Santa, so we open on Christmas eve. Things that came in the mail early, I put aside for opening with the rest of the gifts unless the sender specifies otherwise.

I think I read somewhere or heard that opening on Christmas eve vs. Christmas day was a regional thing in the US. The South was more likely to open on the 24th, the North on the 25th. Or maybe it was the other way around.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Interesting. It's always Christmas Day unless the giver wants to open them early. I don't really like that but I can see the point of watching their reaction to the gift. Grammy has one gift to us each for Christmas Eve which is always Christmas pjs. I think this year she is including a movie and treats.

I'm surprised so many people open gifts on Christmas Eve. Growing up it was always Christmas morning but one year my brother convinced us to do it Christmas Eve. Well it was good and all but Christmas Day was not as fun as other years. My sister and brother slept in...the toys were not as shiny and new...some of the magic was missing. We never did that again...and always said every year after "remember that year we opened gifts on Christmas Eve?". What's the point of having a specific day to celebrate if you do it the night before? I get it's tradition for others and any other way would be weird for them but for me it will always be Christmas morning, and we keep as many gifts for that day as we can.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Isnt a big deal in my opinion but Dh went nuts the year I let the kids open the rest on Christmas Eve. It was fun and kind of decadent. Christmas Day was nicer. We had a leisurely brunch and played games and watched tv.
I remember having to put the gifts under the tree that came in the mail. It took the shine off. Kids didnt get mail back then. (or talk on the phone for the most part).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have friends with kids who receive presents from lots of extended family. She has found it to be better to let them open the packages as they arrive otherwise the gifts get lost among all the confusion of Christmas morning. She says that opening the gifts early make them that much more memorable and special.

In our own family, there aren't many people who send anything to DD. On a rare holiday or birthday, DD's bio-mom will send something. If so, then I let DD open the gift when it arrives. The anticipation is far too much for DD and the let down on Christmas morning when the item is horrid (like an ugly sweater that is two sizes too small) can ruin the whole day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
We do Christmas Eve with extended family and there are some gifts exchanged that evening. Our immediate family does not open gifts until Christmas Day.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At my great age, I still allow myself to open ONE gift (from those I've already received) last thing on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, MyLovelyMan and I exchange gifts and open them together.

Gifts that have been sent or given to me, from personal friends, I open in private: a moment of intimacy with my friends in far-flung corners of the world. I know that MyLovelyMan also receives a large cheque from his mother - which is just for him, and he opens it when he receives it: the amount it's for is NOT my business. It's for him to spend on whatever he wants.

We're a small family gathering on Christmas Day. I do wish that my in-laws (MLM's sister, her husband and their 16 year old daughter) had the tact and diplomacy to open, in private, just amongst themselves, the dozens and dozens of gifts they receive from their countless friends (you think I'm exaggerating?) and not haul them out by the sackful to open and lust over, in front of us, while we sit and kill time until the loot-gathering is over. I don't think this is setting a good standard of social behaviour for the teenager, who of course believes that it is OK to do this.

I think it would be bad taste if I took along all the gifts I had received - from people they, the in-laws, don't know - and opened them in public but - that's just me. Or maybe it's not. Maybe some of you think as I do?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
When my son was growing up, we always opened one gift on Christmas Eve. It almost always consisted of new pjs and a movie to watch that evening. :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
When the kids was little we always opened one on Christmas eve just before bed time..as We always had a big dinner that night with everyone..The rest was Christmas morning..

When I was a kid mine was always Christmas morning and the it was run to the family for meals..

Now it is when everyone can get together..Christmas eve or Christmas morning then we eat..Because there R kids that have to be with other parent for the other..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When my two kids were little we would give them one gift to open on Christmas Eve. It was always new pj's...we would order pizza for dinner....Christmas morning or whenever they woke up, they were allowed to open their stockings and Santa always left one gift (toy) unwrapped...they were allowed to play with that toy.....they never opened any of the other gifts until we got up....they usually let us sleep till 9 or 10....worked for us.....Now, my sil and bil would let their kids wake them up, usually 2 am, and they would all get up and opened presents....the one year we spent with them, it took them 5 hours!!!!! By 10 am, everyone is cranky and tired.......never again!!!!! When I was a kid we always opened gifts on Christmas morning....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts