Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies,

I worked on the railroad for many years and I cannot count the number of times we had to stop a train because of children, teenagers or adults playing by tracks or trying to "jump" a train.

I also put my share of calls into the police or for an ambulance to come and literally pick up the pieces. (I apologise for being graphic, but if this can save just one life, it is worth it. ) It is not only a horrible way for someone to be injured or heaven forbid, to die but the crew on the train also has to live with this tragedy knowing that they cannot stop in time.

This is taken from http://www.oli.org

Be aware that trains cannot stop quickly. Even if the locomotive engineer sees you, a freight train moving at 55 miles per hour can take a mile or more to stop once the emergency brakes are applied. That’s at least 18 football fields!
I urge you to visit http://www.oli.org not only for yourself, but they have great (and fun ways to learn) for your kids, teachers and parents or adults.

The site is called Operation Lifesaver.

Sara, if I put this in the wrong forum, please move it. TIA

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thanks Dee, we live about 300 yards from the tracks and I have educated the kids on the dangers of trains....... We had 2 boys killed here about 5 years ago......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Train tracks aren't really a concern here in NH, since most of them are unused and turned into biking or snow mobile trails.

But when dh worked down in Boston for the cable company- he had to be licenced to work on the cable through Amtrack if the lines were within I think 100 feet of the tracks. If he wasn't licenced and was caught, he could've been arrested for trespassing. I know it's harsh, but you're right, they are very dangerous and can't stop on a dime.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
when i was a kid i knew kids who did jump trains..but being from the bronx trains were not a big deal and i knew first hand what could happen if u slipped .. i heard of many kids who got hurt doing that

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We live two blocks from a local track. There's a small train that goes through several times a day. My boys know better, but there are a lot of kids who do this stupid sort of thing all the time. I don't want a tragedy in our town!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We live close to train tracks. And, I know when we have kids, I will be constantly after them to not be on them.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have to say we DO like near tracks, they're across the valley but I can see the train from our family room and can actually FEEL the train going through, we love it.

Railroads ARE the reason I met my husband and I'm greatful to that, lol, and through him have learned a lot and actually enjoy the history of the locomotives and local lines. A good day for us usede to be to go volunteer at the passenger line where we met and play conductor/run the snack car and go for a ride :)

kj

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
thanks for the info.......we don't live near railroad tracks, but its still very useful information since i drive over railroad crossings everyday!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts