Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a typical week look like meal wise if you are "living on rice and beans"?

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I had to live on beans and rice (thankfully I don't) I'd make....
Cowboy casserole, tortillas and chip
h/m refried burritos and tacos
bean burgers
baja black bean casserole
soups
bean stew over h/m biscuits
bean crisps
Then I'd search the net!!!!Katy

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I make alot of stir frys
bean soup
baked beans
red beans and rice

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
We've never actually lived on rice and beans but we've always stretched out food budget with red beans. Our fave. southern meal is red beans (pinto beans) cooked in the crockpot on high over night and all day with some meat (like a chunk of pork roast bought on sale ofcourse, portioned up and frozen in just the right amounts for such needs), fried potatoes and onions and cornbread. Omg, makes my mouth water just to type it out. (we rarely eat fried taters anymore due to changing out eating habits, but still) It's a cheap, delicious and filling meal (aromatic too, so see you get something for all your senses for not much money ..... :lol: ).

When we are eating cheap we eat lean hamb. browned with an onion and cabbage (all bought on sale ofcourse) and wrap the browned, drained meat mixture in a tortilla and serve with mustard, we call it beerox....if you eat real beerox you know it's not the same but it's close enough for gov't work. ;)

Tacos, chili cheese dogs, hamburgers, spaghetti, etc.....those are our cheap meals........oh, roast with taters and onions cooked in the skillet with em, pork chops with bakes potatoes, meatloaf, mac cheese and baked potatoes (most of these meals we don't eat anymore......lol, dang it).

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We eat alot of beans :) Tacos, rice & beans, beans alone with sofrito (homemade marinade)....

We love rice and beans, I also make arroz con pollo (chicken w/rice).

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
We eat alot of beans :) Tacos, rice & beans, beans alone with sofrito (homemade marinade)....

We love rice and beans, I also make arroz con pollo (chicken w/rice).

C'MON Tracy, you are the most awesome master at eating on a shoestring. You amaze us all with your practically non existant grocery budget........You need to give more details (please)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Arroz con Pollo is a staple in my house and CHEAP. We make it all the time (I'm 1/2 puerto rican). We also make a side of kidney beans to go with it. One large pot will cost only a few bucks to make and can last us for almost 5 meals!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I need to find some recipes... because I tried rice and beans (and I'm NOT a fussy eater) and I nearly BARFED!

I think I did something terribly wrong.

Any suggestions for R+B recipes would not go unnoticed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we need some awesome Arroz con Pollo recipes! ;)

Reactions: Beejay

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I need to find some recipes... because I tried rice and beans (and I'm NOT a fussy eater) and I nearly BARFED!

I think I did something terribly wrong.

Any suggestions for R+B recipes would not go unnoticed.
This is one of our favs. here:
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52546&highlight=cuban+black+beans

I would suggest adding salt to taste though, in the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

To the OP, as far as using beans in recipes, I've used them in black bean nachos, refried bean burritos, taco soup, and I've also used them chilled in cold salads.
I can find just about any use for them, sometimes we do just rice, beans and cornbread, but I use them for alot of other applications as well.

I try to do a bean cooking day at least once a month, I have cooked pintos, red beans, kidney beans, black beans, you name it.
Once done, I let them cool and package them into my foodsaver bags in 2 cup portions and freeze until I need beans for a recipe.
That way I can add the seasonings I want and they taste soooo much better than any store bought.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
We eat lots of beans in different ways...chickpea tacos, bean & rice burritos, red beans & rice, BBQ baked beans, veggie chili, as sandwich filling, in salads, black bean/lentil burgers. There is so much you can do with them!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ASPIRE to eat beans....but so far, the only ones I know how to make are the canned heinz tomato ones on toast ;) Love to see your faves to give them a try! DMIL makes good homemade beans, but since I found out she puts 6 cups of sugar in the pot I stay away :S

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
We've never actually lived on rice and beans but we've always stretched out food budget with red beans. Our fave. southern meal is red beans (pinto beans) cooked in the crockpot on high over night and all day with some meat (like a chunk of pork roast bought on sale ofcourse, portioned up and frozen in just the right amounts for such needs), fried potatoes and onions and cornbread. Omg, makes my mouth water just to type it out.

Oh my, this is one my favorite meals. Even better if you've got a homegrown tomato to slice to go with it! I love pinto beans cooked way down where the juice is a dark brown--I'm drooling just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
some ppl simply don't like beans. and that's ok.

however a few ideas i've come up with are:

rice/bean casserole... use stock and/or cheese soup or ricotta/parm mix, mixed veggies (or your choice of veg) and pop in the oven.

make "patties" of mostly rice and some beans (can mash or keep whole). make sticky rice (you can make rice sticky by what you cook it in.), add some veg's and the beans... fry 'em up. there ya go! top it with cheese, salsa, whatever you want. or make it a burger!

make stuffed peppers, stuffed pasta shells, tomatoes, whatever... using a "dirty" rice (no meat). can use beef broth if you prefer that taste.

make a soup with rice/beans.

how 'bout a "stew" of chunky and/or root veggies with beans. either add beans to the stew OR top the rice with some stew.

take cornbread muffins, add some rice for bulk and to extend a recipe...also peppers, onions, spices too!. have beans on the side as your "meat". (note: cook rice prior to adding to mix. only a half cup for 6 muffins needed - can extend to about 9 muffins).

make a cheesy rice/bean mix. just rice/beans and top w/yer choice of cheese.

what about chili topped with rice (sprinkling), cheese,onions/chives.

there are TONS of options...

i should do some kinda "creative" cooking thing.
too bad i have all this creativity and NO ONE (willing) to eat it.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I ASPIRE to eat beans....but so far, the only ones I know how to make are the canned heinz tomato ones on toast ;) Love to see your faves to give them a try! DMIL makes good homemade beans, but since I found out she puts 6 cups of sugar in the pot I stay away :S
Hhmmmm the only beans I add any sugar to are baked beans (those are pork n beans, not red beans---maybe she knows a secret about cooking the, ummmm [email protected] out of them.....:shrug2: ).

Oh yes, DixieJ you're so right about a home grown tomato.........slurp.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
my grandmother does. youd think she'd get tired of it, but she keeps making it. everyday. pinto beans and spanish rice. everyday! and i visit her pretty much everyday which means i have to eat it pretty much everyday. she can cook other things but she reeeeally like pinto beans and spanish rice.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I love beans...however don't care to much for rice. I eat alot of potatoes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I eat beans almost everyday! Sometimes with a grain, sometimes vegetables, sometimes a bit of cheese or yogurt. Always with fresh garlic! I make a batch of beans (garbanzos are my fav, black beans #2 fav) in the crockpot each week to have on hand. I even put beans on pizza! I also sprout beans and seeds for salads. My family does not share my enthusiasm for the beautiful bean, but they are coming around! They love refried beans, and have started enjoying black beans and spanish style rice.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We do alot of beans and rice.
Red Beans and Rice of course is something we eat probably once a week.
Soup beans ( pinto usually) and cornbread is another meal we eat on a weekly basis.
Chili
Chili mac( Chili topping spaghetti noodles,cheese,onions, I also eat it with chili sauce which you get in the ketchup aisle)
Rice and refried beans put with tacos.
Chili Tamale Casserole
Chili dogs
Ranch style Beans skillet meal ( Ranch style beans,can of rotell, a mess of chesse, package of hamburger, serve with rice)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts