Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you make your own spaghetti sauce or do you buy jarred sauce?

8K views 73 replies 71 participants last post by  ShellyB 
#1 ·
I was wondering...Do you make your own spaghetti sauce or do you buy jarred sauce? I usually doctor up jarred sauce by adding canned tomatoes to the sauce plus a lot of spices. I am making sauce today without jarred sauce because I did not buy any the last time I went shopping. I hope it comes out good. I am making sauce for lasagna tonight.

#2 ·
I usually buy the sauce and then add more diced tomatoes, pesto sauce, a little adobo seasoning and meat (on occasion). When I make lasagna I use marinara sauce as is without adding anything else to it. :)

#4 ·
I also stock up on Ragu on sale and doctor it up with my own spices, etc.

#6 ·
DH and i love barilla but its a little pricey. just the other night we tried bertolli (?) i think thats what it was. it was pretty good. ive never tried to make it myself, but ive got some good starter ideas here now to try to doctor my own "bought" sauce. :)

#9 ·
We do both.

On the nights where my mother-in-law requests spaghetti my father-in-law will make it from scratch and usually nix the hamburger and use spicy italian sausage instead.

---

Other than that... on the nights where no one is making dinner and we're too lazy to cook anythnig substantial we'll just throw some noodles on to boil then pour some sauce over it when it's done.

#10 ·
I usually buy the cheapy walmart stuff and add a bunch of veggies and garlic (occasionally meat). A couple times a year I make a big pot of homemade with tons of veggies in it. I don't have a lot of freezer space, so I hate spending that much time making sauce for only a couple of dinners.

#11 ·
I usually buy Hunt's garlic and herb canned spaghetti sauce at WalMart for .88unless I find a super good deal on jarred using coupons.

#13 ·
By todays general standards I make my own.....By my grandmothers standards I make my own in the summer (since I don't know how to can).

to illustrate

1)Buy a cake from a bakery (jar sauce...just heat and serve)
2)buy a cake mix and make it (doctored up sauce)
3)make one from scratch (buy the prepared ingrediants)
4)grind the flour, get the eggs from the hen house kind of from scratch (grow or buy the pure ingrediants processing them yourself)

Grandma was always a 4 .... mine usually falls in the 3 range
I buy cans of paste, pure tomatoe sauce, cooked down with oil, herbs and whatever else goes in it for that time. (If it's cooked down with meat I actually consider it gravey not sauce)

In the summer I do grandma's kind where you grind the tomatoes down to get the seeds out and boil that all down to pure tomatoe sauce for hours(what I usually by in the can) before I can add all the other stuff. (i'm also more likely to use fresh herbs that My sister has grown.)

I've been saying for years I'm goona learn to can. Hopefully this summer it'll happen.

Bet ya didn't think this question could have such a complicated answer.

#14 ·
I do both. Sometimes straight from a jar. Other times doctored. Sometime from scratch. Depends on time and ambition.

#15 ·
I vary, just try to make sure that I get as many veggies in as I can. We use more sauce and less pasta.( By that I mean I do it and DH eats it, all the while wanting extra pasta, Ha Ha.)

#16 ·
We do both. I buy Mushroom and Green Pepper Ragu or Prego when they're on sale. We eat it without "doctoring" it, over spaghetti or in a pasta bake. Very rarely I'll add some mushrooms, if I have some that need using up.
We also make our own sauce, especially when we're making homemade pizza.

#20 ·
I do both but last summer someone gave me alot of tomatoes......alot. I made sauce with vegies from my garden and the tomatoes and begged for some fresh oregano from my brother-n-law. I froze alot of sauce and it was good.

#22 ·
I do both. I'm not a big fan of Ragu or Prego, so if I'm buy it then it's usually Bertolli or Barilla. If I'm making it, then I use the recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network.

#25 ·
I have been buying the Hunts Spaghetti sauce in the big cans and using the recipe on the back. My family loves it and my dsis's family thinks it's great too. It makes alot so we have spaghetti one night and couple of nights later I fix calzones with the rest and add some pepperoni.

#26 ·
I used to always "make" it with 3 cans of paste and two of sauce and enough water to thin it right, meat and spices (somehow canned sauce and paste doesn't exactly seem homemade!) - anyway, then I bought a jar or two and it was really good. So I stock up on whatever brand is only sale for around 79 cents with coupons, and then I add meat and spices......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.