Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom alway did..however I think that there wasn't such a thing of boxed stuffing in the 70's? I just made my first batch about a month ago and I love it...I like it much better then Stove Top stuffing..My youngest son doesn't like it ...so I will be having both homemade and boxed stuffing for our Holiday..

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Sorry .99 stovetop stuffing double batch all the way. I ripped endless bread as a child. If it goes in the bird they say it isn't good for you,if you make it seperate it tends to dry out. And don't even consider giving me "organ meats" in it or oysters. Cornbread=greasy. Stovetop. 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
stovetop but I add the broth from my chicken or turkey. 5 minutes and done.

Reactions: Jessesbride

·
2,688 Posts
Mom used to make our's from scratch growing up. It had the cooked giblets in it, an onion sliced up and was put inside of the bird to cook.
Now with just hubby and me, I use a cheap box of stuffing mix for the stove top. When I get the water heating up, and add the margerine, I also add some fresh green pepper, onion, and garlic if I have it. A few spices . I usually have to add a little bit more water so all that stuff can cook up. Then I add the bread part at the last minute when I go to serve the meal. That makes for a lot better testing quick side dish.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I make mine from scratch as well. Stovetop is ok, but not for Thanksgiving. I do use Stovetop to make different casseroles. I'll have to look up the Cornbread Stuffing recipe, I've never made it and it sounds good.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would love to because I love homemade stuffing, but I can never figure out how to and it seems difficult.

·
8,714 Posts
~Homemade. I haven't even been able to taste the boxed stuff again after learning how to make homemade.
I save all my bread heels in the freezer until needed, dry a batch in the oven while I'm cooking something else and then pull into pieces.
I make my onion, celery, butter and spice mixture in big batches so I can freeze portions for future dinners.
Mix the bread pieces in a greased dish with the onion mixture and throw a few crushed turkey broth ice cubes on the top and bake. Delicious!~

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I would love to because I love homemade stuffing, but I can never figure out how to and it seems difficult.
Here's my simple recipe and delicious

For 20# turkey

2-1/4 cups margarine
1-1/2 cups minced onion
9 quarts lightly packed bread (approx 2 loaves)
1/2 cup diced celery
1 Tbsp Poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper

Melt butter; add onion, cook until tender

Meanwhile mix other ingredients

Add to onions and stuff turkey

Add a little water so it won't be dry

Recipe does call for salt; but I leave it out because it comes out salty enough

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I used to make homemade from scratch and was never impressed with the flavor, and then one year I used half a box of Stovetop mixed in and got rave reviews. That was the end of making it myself. I'll "cook" it in the microwave and pop it in the oven to toast up. I will often add more vegetables to it, though, or use some of the turkey drippings and gizzards for flavor.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I used to do the whole homemade everything for Thanksgiving. It got to be too much to handle and I now use shortcuts. The stuffing is one of them:) I do add some diced apples and use broth instead of water. So it's sort-a homemade:stir:

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Nope. I've never had to make stuffing. lol!

·
Registered
541 Posts
We never had "stuffing" growing up, we had cornbread dressing.
Now, I make mine with a pan of buttermilk cornbread, 1 box of chicken flavored stovetop, 1 cup of chopped yellow onions, 1 cup of chopped green onions, 1 cup chopped celery, 1 tsp. sage, 1 tsp. black pepper, 3 beaten eggs and enough chicken broth to make it soupy. bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour & 15 minutes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pepperidge Farm cubed herb stuffing mix for me.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have the easiest homemade stuffing ever and would never consider store bought!!! onions - celery - bread - poultry seasoning - butter
Add some chicken/turkey broth and you've got my recipe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts