Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and if so what type?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really like the super dark mulches. It's shredded hardwoods I believe. Right now some of the sections here are cedar mulch and it's ok, but really light. If I can get other sections of the yard in order, I can move onto my flower beds. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
This is our second year of flower beds. And, we've never mulched. What is the reason? And, what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mulch keeps the weeds down, some pop through but less than half what I had without mulch. I like the coco shell mulch, It looks kinda like soil.
So it looks like I have a weed free garden with no mulch from farther way (the street), I like to have people think I work harder than I actually do;)

It also helps amend the soil a little.

FYI I am in MN and on our local radio garden show they said wood mulch is not good for flower gardens cuz (parden my memory) it leaves something most flowers don't like or takes away something the flowers need.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I can't stand wood mulch. I just don't like the way it looks. Kimmomo3 is coco shell mulch something that is only available locally? I have never seen or heard of it. It sounds right up my alley. In the veggie/herb garden this year I want to try newspaper covered in hay (not straw). Supposed to keep out weeds. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I dont' think it is a local thing since there aren't many coco plants in MN:D

But I really don't know I do get it at the local garden center not a chain place.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Sara, we mulch! if you contact Asplundh Tree Service (nationwide) (the guys in the huge Orange Trucks)they will deliver it for FREE!! Can't gaurantee what type of mulch you will get but when they cut trees down in your area, they would much rather drop it off at someones house rather than have to pay to dispose of it! I'm sure you can maybe ask for spacific types. Worth a try!

Mel, Cocoa mulch is very very nice!!! and also PRICEY!! the good thing about it is it keeps animals out of your garden! something about the smell of the cocoa that deters them! Most of your Nursery's can order it for you.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I have tried the hardwood mulch and liked it real well for the flower beds. However now that we are on the farm and need huge amounts of something, I am using hay. Actually its the yucky hay that the goats have trampled, etc. You get mulch and fertilizer all in one. It does not look nearly as good as hardwood much but we have it readily available and I need lots. If I could I would try and get cyprus mulch for the front beds at least, but its not in the budget right now.

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts