Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about this unit on a prepping site and find it quite a useful item to have around for many different reasons that would save alot of money over the years. If you own one please tell me your pro's & con's to why I SHOULDN"T buy one..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
great minds think alike. I saw this in an advertisement in a magazine. I was wondering what people would think. So, you beat me to the question.
So far I think you shouldn't buy 1. Buy 2. The smaller one for a BOB and another one to meet your needs. (lets see what others think)

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
675 Posts
My water here isn't drinkable so I was thinking of buying a Berkey also. It would be cheaper to own a Berkey with extra filters than paying 25cents a gallon for water plus the drive to get it!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MyPatriotSupply.com has the Berkey Light you get a free a survival seed vault, $25.00 gift certificate plus free shipping..HTH..

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have the Royal Berkey, and absolutely love it.

The water is so fresh, tastes great and I have had little maintenance with it.

I use to buy bottled spring and this saves me a ton. We don't want the added fluoride ( thyroid etc ) nor arsenic and this removes these with our additional filters as well as tons of other things.

I can recommend these highly and love , love , love my Berkey!!!! :) I researched throughly before getting, and have never regretted the price or purchase. By the way did I mention I love my Berkey...lol :) It is worth every penny and more.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I have been thinking about one of these too. We currently store about 100 gallons, but in a real SHTF situation, that wouldn't last long.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after reading one of my favorite poster's review I went ahead and bought one..I feel I made the right choice spending the money on something my family will benefit from health wise and great tasting water.. It doesn't require any electric in case no one knew that like me...I really don't think you can go wrong buying it from the supplier that I posted..with that $25.00 free gift certificate I'm going to buy the portable water bottle..Oh and the price for the Berkey light was $231.00 even and no tax which surprised me along with the free shipping..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, I bought one last year. We LOVE our Berkey! I also got the flouride filiters.

I bought mine from Pleasant Hill Grain. When I ordered it, it was on backorder, but they only charged me a $1 until it was available to ship and then I got the full charge.

At the time I got my Berkey, the sports bottle came free, now you can get it for 1/2 price with your order.

When I got my Berkey, it would leak at the spigot. I called the Berkey company and they sent me out a new one no problem! Other than that, we have had ZERO problems with it!!

(PS: I don't work for PHG or know anyone who does and get no $$ from them. I'm just a satisfied customer)!

·
Registered
133 Posts
We're fixing to buy the Berkey filters and make our own unit with 2 food grade buckets. You can find plans on the net or how-to videos on Youtube.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We're fixing to buy the Berkey filters and make our own unit with 2 food grade buckets. You can find plans on the net or how-to videos on Youtube.
We did this for a back up for camping, but didn't want the plastic health issue. I have a family member who works with plastics so we didn't feel comfortable using as a filter for daily. But it does work and is cool for camping. We did use food grade for our back up as well, just not for daily filtering.

Which Plastics Are Safe? | Care2 Healthy Living

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Well after reading one of my favorite poster's review I went ahead and bought one..I feel I made the right choice spending the money on something my family will benefit from health wise and great tasting water.. It doesn't require any electric in case no one knew that like me...I really don't think you can go wrong buying it from the supplier that I posted..with that $25.00 free gift certificate I'm going to buy the portable water bottle..Oh and the price for the Berkey light was $231.00 even and no tax which surprised me along with the free shipping..

This is such a good price by the way, I have a friend looking for one now and sent them your link.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I guess I will be buying one also lol! I will have to wait a few months though because it isn't in the budget yet. It sounds like such a good idea! No more driving to get water and having to lug big water jugs back and forth! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts