Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you peel potatoes before boiling or after boiling them? I have always done it before, but know some people peel them after because it's easier.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I do it before because that's how my Mom did it. It honestly never occurred to me to try it any other way!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I peel mine for making mashed or boiled potatoes, but if I am making potato salad or homefries I boil with them on. For potato salad I peel after they cool (just so I can handle them) and for homefries I leave the peel on.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I always peel before boiling. :)

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
For most dishes- I peel and dice before boiling (they cook faster). However- like others. . . I boil in the skins for potato salad and some other dishes.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I peel before, I only like the skins on fries, baked and fried potatoes...... Too many pieces of skin if I do it after.....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Before boiling. :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
:) Ditto on what Deed said...now I wonder where she learned that!!!!!!!!:toothy:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
before boiling, unless they are sweet potatoes, then, if I do boil, (usually I bake them now, because Emeril says you lose all the nutrients if you boil), then I peel after.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I can't think of the last time I peeled potatoes for any dish... I just leave 'em on, and we eat 'em, no matter what the dish. I can't say as a potato peel every really bothered me. :laugh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I'm going to peel them, it's always before. But for some reason, my grandmother always does it after and if I'm visiting she saves that OUCH, HOT task for me. :confused:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Before boiling. But we lived down south where most mashed potaotes had hte skins in them, never did like that.

BTW, thanks Monkeywrangler for digging though the oldies. These are the Debates and Personal Views topics I remember. :) I enjoy the lighthearted ones from back when.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I always peel before boiling. I don't care for the potato skins in any dish.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts