Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally have frozen cookies and cupcakes in the freezer, as well as waffles,pancakes, biscuits and muffins. I sometimes boil eggs, rice, and microwave potatoes in advance of when I need them. I chop onion, celery and green peppers and keep them in a plastic container in the fridge. Sometimes I make my piecrusts in advance and brown ground beef and freeze. This week I made pea soup and homemade baked beans and froze them. This saves me a lot of time and money as I'm less apt to suggest we go out to dinner or order in, when I can throw together something fast.

·
27,948 Posts
Not like you, which is a cool thing to do. I do my prep early in the morning on the day I cook & cut up extra if I know I'll be using it in the next days meal. I do try to take meat out of the freezer ahead of time.
Speaking of dinner I better go get something going...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I do similar to you, Staceyy. I'll cook three pounds of taco meat and freeze it in meal-sized portions. Or I'll run 5lbs of onion thru the food processor and freeze them (hint: freeze them spread out on a cookie sheet, then transfer to a bag - then they won't clump into a brick). I also make two or three loaves of quickbread at a time and freeze the extra for easy breakfasts. All sorts of stuff! :)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I prep once a week..

I got several pounds of chuck steak this past week for .99 a pound...excellent deal...I have made all kinds of freezer meals with it and I must say I'm very proud of the outcome... I have several different meals that only need to be reheated and make a side dish to go with it.I think its the best feeling knowing that if your to tired to cook or something comes up that I can just pull something out of the freezer...and not spending a fortune on takeout...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Every once in a while I get a big package of hamburger meat and take a day making meat balls or meat loaves or chili etc., freeze in meal-size packages and enjoy the fruits of a day's labour when I don't feel like cooking.
I do the same with other meats, but mainly with ground beef.

In summer time especially, I cut up a bunch of celery and carrots for dipping. Also make my own dip (3-4 times the recipe) and make carrot and bean salads. Always a handy side dish when you are trying to avoid firing up the stove.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
This is the first time this week that I did as much prep for the week that I could. I have extra waffles, pancakes, and muffins. I made a spice mix for the chicken. I have ham on the menu twice this week and once next week so I portioned those. And I made a cheesy bake for this week and a extra one in the freezer. It was a lot of work but I am hoping it will make meal time easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts