Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around here, it's customary to pull off to the side of the road and wait as a funeral procession goes past you. (As in when it's coming towards you in the opposite lane- not if it's behind you!) I never thought twice about it, and in fact, get pretty annoyed when other cars drive around me and continue down the road as a funeral goes by. I think it's just a sign of respect, and wouldn't dream of driving on unless there was some pressing reason- ie, blocking an ambulance or something. My friend from out of state, however, had never heard of such a thing, and had no idea what I was getting so annoyed about. Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I always pull over. I too agree that it is a sign of respect.

·
27,948 Posts
I don't know what the right thing to do here in New York or just ethically is. I think It's OK to keep traffic moving (in opposite direction) especially in busy areas.
One thing I would never do is to cut into the funeral procession line. That to me would be disrespectful.
Good question.:)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Yes I do.

Yesterday an ambulance was coming up behind me and at least 20 cars, NO ONE but me pulled off onto the shoulder at a light!!! :grrr: Then this dumb woman thought she was going to go ahead of me after the ambulance went by!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Absolutely! For a funeral procession or an ambulance. It has always been done that way here and yet the last few years I notice more people not doing it.:(

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I always have pulled over for funeral processions. I believe now in the state of KY that it is a law that you have to pull over for funeral processions or you could get a ticket. They also recently passed a law that if a cop has someone pulled over on the shoulder if you are on a 4 lane that you have to get in the passing lane or slow down significantly or they can give you a ticket. I was just wondering though - is the cop with the person pulled over going to leave that person and come after you???

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
In GA, it's customary, if not mandatory to pull over for a funeral procession. I like the custom, although a lot of people moving into the state dislike this practice.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yes I pull over for funerals and any police , ambulance, fire rescue......I also obey the 15 mph flashers in school zones, so many people just zoom through when the flashers are on and that really ticks me off, they have those there to protect the children:mad:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Yes I do- I've always appreciated it when I've been in the procession of a loved one too.

It really irritates me when someone will cut into the middle of the procession as well- I once saw someone cut in between the hearse and the family car.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If it is behind me I don't pull over if I am behind it I just stay there and do not pass it. If I am meeting it head on in the other lane I just drive, I do not pull over I do not see a reason. I will not merge into one or cut through one but I do not pull over for one.

I do pull over for police, fire and ambulances, no mater were they are.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I pull off for funeral processions,ambulance,rescue,and any law vehicles.

I get really ticked when I'm pulled over for an ambulance or funeral and cars pass me.So now, I pull over but not so far that people can pass me. This happened last week...I was already late for a Dr's appt,but pulled over for a funeral and you know the woman behind me had the nerve to honk her horn for me to move.When we did start moving again she gave me the bird!!

edited: I don't think she had an emergency...she pulled off at Burger King!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing for funerals as far as pulling over for one but I'd never dare to cut one off, that's blatent disrespect.

If an emergency vehicle is in the opposite lane coming towards me, I drive closer to the shouldar to give them more room, but I don't stop (unless the road is really narrow like in the city).

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
couponchic said:
They also recently passed a law that if a cop has someone pulled over on the shoulder if you are on a 4 lane that you have to get in the passing lane or slow down significantly or they can give you a ticket. I was just wondering though - is the cop with the person pulled over going to leave that person and come after you???
Ohio has that law, too. As the wife of a cop, let me tell you..... too many cops are killed each year while pulled off to the side of the road! :soapbox: The cops I know get on their radios and call someone if a car cuts too close to them or zooms by. I'm sure they can't always catch them, but, still, it scares me to death when I see a cop on the side of the road and traffic zooming past. Like a cop's job isn't dangerous enough without dealing with idiots speeding past..... :mad:

(Sorry, that one's a little personal for me!)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I always pull over,didn't know until I was 17 though that people do that until one day I wondered why trafic stopped.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Kimmomo3 said:
If it is behind me I don't pull over if I am behind it I just stay there and do not pass it. If I am meeting it head on in the other lane I just drive, I do not pull over I do not see a reason. I will not merge into one or cut through one but I do not pull over for one.

I do pull over for police, fire and ambulances, no mater were they are.
That's about it for us too ! We live in a ME world and so many now can't see past their own needs and wants, it's really too bad !!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I pull over, it's a matter of respect in my opinion. Our county also has a volunteer group that stops traffic at the stopligts and intersections for the procession.

We now have the law about moving over for the police officers too, but I always did that anyway, I would hate to accidently hit someone!

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's the law here in Florida. A lot of people have no idea though. We also have a new law that motorists are supposed to switch lanes away from the policeman when they have pulled someone over or slow down to 30 mph. A lot of people don't know this too.
:(

Keilley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts