Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you rent and carry adequate renters insurance?

• I rent - and I have more than enough.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I rent - and I have **** enough.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I rent - and I have some but not enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rent - but I don't have any.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I don't rent but I like voting in polls.

Votes: 11 37.9%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently on another forum, I conducted a survey of renters and found that fully 25% of them did not have renters insurance.

I have asked this question here in the past, and I think it's time to bring the subject up again.

Renters Insurance is a product that reimburses you for your lost possessions should you lose them in a fire or other catastrophic event.

You should be aware, your landlord's insurance will not replace your possessions!

Renter's insurance is dirt cheap - the most expensive I've EVER heard of was in really bad neighborhoods for a few hundred a year - most places you can get it for a few dollars a month.

Do yourself a favor - DO THE MATH - go through your house and add up what it would cost you to replace the following:
- All of your clothing - shoes, pants, suits, dresses, skirts, underwear, shirts, hats, coats, belts, ALL of it
- All of your personal care items - toothbrushes, hairbrushes, hair dryers, curling irons, combs,
- All of your accessories - jewelry and the like
- All of your furniture - chairs, tables, beds, couches, dressers, etc
- All of your electronics - TV, stereo, alarm clocks, microwave, etc

NONE of those possessions will be replaced in a fire by your landlord's policy. Do the math and you'll quickly hit a scary big number.

Most renter's policies start at $25,000 *replacement* value - that's cost to replace, not value of good now. For dollars a month, can YOU afford NOT to be protected?

If you don't have it, please - call your insurance agent today and start the process. Shop around a bit to get the best value.

But please - get it today if you don't already. You don't want to be left after a fire with nothing *and* no way to replace it.

Reactions: annymoll

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
my son rented an apt and then for 2 years a house nearby his college ( with roommates splitting the costs )
he always had apt insurance on his stuff .

Reactions: Greebo

·
27,948 Posts
Greebo's right about having insurance, yes I said you are right. Ds sells insurance and after hounding a couple of friends they finally agreed to get the insurance. Day before the appointment they were robbed & left high and dry. It really does cost usually less than $10 a month and can mean bunches. Don't delay. Sure you can do all the right things but if you live in a populated building you have no control over all those other tenants. Things can happen no matter where you live & you need to protect yourself.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: AnW819

·
27,948 Posts
Get used to it.

You love saying that ;)
I knew it would take you seconds to root out this post where someone said something nice about you. :D

Reactions: AnW819

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew it would take you seconds to root out this post where someone said something nice about you. :D
I have a web service which constantly monitors new posts on FV and alerts me on my cell phone.

When YOU post it, the ringer is extra special.

Reactions: AnW819 and Darlene

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have renter's insurance. It is $154/yr. and I believe it's $25,000 replacement value (I don't have the policy in front of me). Because we got it through our auto insurer, we got a discount on auto insurance that basically makes our renter's insurance free.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It IS so important! One of my good friends had an upstairs bathroom pipe leak while they were away and flooded their house. No renter's insurance, and they lost almost everything. It was very sad. Thankfully a lot of friends rallied around to help them, but they quickly realized for just a few dollars a month they would have had everything replaced. :shake:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Our apartment requires us to have renter's insurance. It's $12/mo for $25k iirc. We chose to go through their provider, so the amount is just added to the rent. I called the auto insurance company we use and it wasn't any cheaper.

I will admit that before moving here, we did not have any renter's insurance. Knowing now how affordable (and important) it is, I won't be doing w/o any more.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
And I have to add........

I truly don't think I could count the number of complexes here that have caught fire DUE TO CANDLES in the last two years. Either that or Bar-B Q's.......even more than with the portable heaters.

Your apt. might not burn........but if you are a neighbor you will have water damage.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I made the mistake of not getting rental insurance after i divorced many years ago. I had a apartment fire lost alot of stuff because of smoke damage. So yeah i tell everyone that rents for $15 to $25 a month u can get some great coverage. Wish i did.

·
Registered
358 Posts
In addition to all the above, insurance is doubly important if you rent an apartment rather than a house. You may be doing everything you can to ensure that you are low risk - secure locks, no candles, etc. - but if the twit down the hall smokes in bed, you are at risk.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We've had it for over 5 years now and it's only like $100 a year. Most insurance companies have some kind of a deal where you can save money by carrying renters and car insurance with them. I can't remember how good a savings it is, but any money saved is a good thing :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.