Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
yes I am, or burn out if you will. It's been about 4 yrs of serious penny pinching and I'm over it. Most of my frugal habits are natural to me now and I won't go back but I would like to spend a little freely in some areas.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Yes, sometimes.....I do quite well for awhile, then I fall off the frugal wagon. I think I've made really good progress, though, in that I now pick myself up and get back on the frugal wagon instead of giving up and continuing to spend like a drunken sailor.

·
27,948 Posts
$600 for 2 pairs of shoes & $300 for a haircut? Come on, that's not splurging, that's going bonkers. jmho.
With the new ailment de jour "frugal fatigue" could lead some to an excuse for going back to the bad money spending habits that caused major problems in the past.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
$600 for 2 pairs of shoes & $300 for a haircut? Come on, that's not splurging, that's going bonkers. jmho.
With the new ailment de jour "frugal fatigue" could lead some to an excuse for going back to the bad money spending habits that caused major problems in the past.
You make a really good point about how its being a new ailment du jour might give some people an excuse for going back to their previously bad spending habits. But a part of me also thinks those who would use it as an excuse would find any excuse to return to their old ways. I think we all have to take resposibility for our counterproductive behaviors and place any blame where it truly belongs....with ourselves.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'll admit I've got "frugal fatigue" But there's not a dang thing I can do about it. If I decided to go out and just buy shoes, or go out to eat, then that would mean that we would not have the money to pay for heating oil, or pay the electric [just fill in the blank]

I've got to wonder though, since I've never had a $300 pair of shoes, if I'm missing something. Just how much better are they then $100-$150 shoes? I know $100-$150 shoes are much better then $30 shoes, but are $300 shoes really that much better so as to not cause foot problems? Maybe it's a shoe built for comfort AND style.

As far as haircuts, I can see it if she was getting foils & color. When it comes to that you really get what you pay for. However, it is possible to find a great stylist and colorist in a regular salon, but your still looking at a $100 base price if your going foils and color.

But the truth of the matter is that most can't afford $100 hair cuts & $100-$150 dollar shoes even in the best of times, let alone $300 shoes or haircuts. So when one reads this article you can't help but have a sharp intake of breath accompanied by the thought, Holy Moly!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll admit I've got "frugal fatigue" But there's not a dang thing I can do about it. If I decided to go out and just buy shoes, or go out to eat, then that would mean that we would not have the money to pay for heating oil, or pay the electric [just fill in the blank]
Ditto that. But luckily, the fatigue comes and goes; it's not a permanent state. Most of the time, I am quite content to be super frugal. What really gets exhausting is constantly worrying about having enough to make ends meet.

That said, I know from experience, that it's actually easier to keep up the penny pinching long term when there is no choice. Once there is a little breathing room, that's when it's hard to stay on the wagon.

Kara

·
2,688 Posts
I think it is easy for some people to relax when things get better for them. And or the scare is behind then, instead of in their face. That is just the way it is for them.

I truly believe though, that with the economy the way it is, we are in uncharted waters. A lot of what worked in the past, may not work today or tomorrow. We need to learn new skills, and or methods to cope with things. And live within our means.

The shoe price is interesting. My hubby just got steel toe work boots. Price $ 105. Which he would not have gotten on our budget but his job finally gave them each, a $ 75 certificate at a local store to buy work shoes. So then we paid the difference on the choice he made. His last pair, we paid for was only
$ 25 on sale at a different store.

So, to answer your question. Do we have frugal fatique? NO.
We can't afford to even think about it yet. Unless you want to count a $ 5 pizza a couple of times a month.

Actually, I been frugal long before frugal was a cool thing to be :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Absolutely no frugal fatigue here. I never have had the desire to spend extravagant amounts of money on unnecessary things. Frugality is just a normal lifestyle for me. And I very much enjoy my life.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Being frugal has become such a way of life that sometimes I do not notice it. But there are days that I feel like splurging. Which means going to the thriftstore, buying a pair of shoes, or getting something to eat. However I really would not dream of spending 100s of dollars to splurge unless I save up for something.

Sounds more as if they want to go back to their previous lifestyle instead of realizing that saving and spending wisely is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I think we already have a thread about this somewhere. I remember the term "frugal fatigue." I think the article is old too.

I am definitely fatigued. I feel like I can't spend anything. I try to budget for spending money but even that doesn't make a difference. In order to be able to spend enough to feel not broke, I'd have to slow down our debt repayment. So I will just continue to feel broke. In another thread I mentioned how you guys ruined me and how all I spend my extra money on is groceries. It's true. It's basically the only thing I can splurge on without feeling guilty.

Next year we'll be done paying down our debt and I have every intention of easing up.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Actually, I been frugal long before frugal was a cool thing to be :)
Me too. It is just a way of life.....

but I am having 'economy fatigue' right now. I want to do some things around here but afraid to spend the money with the economy like it is.....keep thinking with everything going up.....groc., gas, ALL my utilities, I might need the $ and this is just 'cosmetic' stuff......not maintenance.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
No frugal fatigue here. I tend to be a squirrel by nature, saving all my nuts.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Actually, we've kind of been going backwards. We know I'm going to be out of work for a few months on maternity leave and so we've probably spent a little more lately, so that the lean months ahead don't hurt so much.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
No frugal fatigue here. I tend to be a squirrel by nature, saving all my nuts.
This sounds like me! :laugh:

I read somewhere that frugality goes in and out of style in cycles. It's looked upon favorably right now, but people will eventually revert back to spending when they feel like they can. Of course that is not the sensible, long term way to live, and things will get bad again and society will need to feel the pinch again.

Is it human nature to want to look successful and rich? :popcorn:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm not sure I would EVER buy a $300 dollar pair of shoes ...nor would I ever spend that much on a haircut (even though I am a very very busy stylist myself)...However...sometimes I do suffer from frugal fatigue....it is then that I allow myself x amount of dollars to spend. I am very generous with my kids...that being said..whenever I buy something that I consider expensive...I use my frugal skills to get the very best deal on it that I can. This Christmas has been one of the best, in finding coupons for stores, that have what I am looking for. I have gotten great deals!!! There is no better feeling than being able to provide something for my kids....at a price I can afford.... And we do not charge our purchases...so no bills!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.