Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in life, in your relationship I mean? I'm actually talking about how we delegate jobs in our homes....like Gripey takes out the trash...:lol: I have always sort of felt like it's part of my 'job' to be frugal. Anyone else feel this way? It's an idea that I've put on myself, noone forces me into it ofcourse. Just wondering. :dopey:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I posted this on my blog once. I try to think of the running of my home as a business and that I am the CFO. I believe I should make things as profitable for my family as possible,and I do that in great part by practicing frugality.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I feel like it's part of my job. My fiance takes out the trash and recylcing here too. I plan our frugal meals and shop places where we can get the best deals on our purchases. I come up with new ways to stretch our budget and try to space out purchases so that we won't go over budget.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Prairie Rose someone needs to do it in every household. JMO But that someone would not be DH--so that leaves---ME.:wave2: And that is probably a good thing. I like to be the frugal one. Even could say I enjoy it.:whistle:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Actually I think we both have the frugal job, I take care of the finances so maybe I carry more frugal weight, but my dh is good at keeping me on the wagon when I am close to falling off.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I posted this on my blog once. I try to think of the running of my home as a business and that I am the CFO. I believe I should make things as profitable for my family as possible,and I do that in great part by practicing frugality.
Well put, Autumnlynn, I totally agree. :)

--Michelle

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I feel like it's part of my job. I plan our frugal meals and shop places where we can get the best deals on our purchases. I come up with new ways to stretch our budget and try to space out purchases so that we won't go over budget.
:yeah: I feel my home and taking care of the needs of my family is my job while my DH has a job outside the home, I always prepare meals that are cost effective or cheap, :) I always try to find new places with the best deals but within a certain mile radius from the home.

I have often had people call me cheap but these are also people who have tons of debt and make more than us but struggle 10x's as much as we do. Some people cant believe I feed a family of 4 (right now) for under $75 a month or how our bills are sooooo low but it's called managing your money correctly... being frugal is my job.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey tracy, how exactly do you feed a family of 4 for $75 a month? do you have a meal plan and shopping plan? i'd love to see some of your ideas! i try to keep my budget at $500 for just three of us (although i think food in the US is a lot cheaper than here, but still). i'm amazed at how well you do.

i agree about frugality being a job. i'm still feeling somewhat deprived, i mean, to stick to my budget really means we don't do a lot of fun stuff, but its worth it not to be in any further debt. just can't wait to get rid of my horrid loan, then i can really save.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes. I've felt that way for more than a few years. It's the husband's job to go out and earn the money, and as the stay-at-home mom/wife it's my job to ensure that we can live and function as a family on his salary.

And Tracy! Yes, please do explain (in great detail since I have the attention span of a goldfish lately) how you feed 4 on $75 a month!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree with Chele. I always hear people talking about how "they can't afford to stay home with the kids" and I think that's untrue. There are two sides to money - making it and saving it. It doesn't matter how much you make if you squander it right away. If one of you is earning the money, then the one who stays home is responsible for saving as much of that money as possible. It's a very important part of the job of a stay-at-home parent.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes. I feel like it's my responsibility for many reasons. My husband brings in most of the money right now. He works anywhere from 40-60 hour weeks. I do everything. Pay the bills, clean the house, usually the shopping, and save money. I work part time in my home and bring in some money too. My plate is full for sure. In all honesty, if he took care of this.. We wouldn't be saving money. He'd be buying guitars and music left and right.

·
27,948 Posts
Yes, I think it's part of my job. I wouldn't have been able to be a SAHM without doing it. I was raised though with little & hubby is/was frugal so it wasn't something I really had to think about, just do.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I think of it as part of my job as well. If left to my DH....well...as he willingly admitts, money in his hand is as good as gone.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The way I look at it is... DF brings the money in... unless I find a way to make it stretch... we would have to learn to read by candlelight...

He works outside the house, part of his job is to make sure his department turns a profit so he can get a bonus... I work inside the house and it's part of my job to make sure my department turns a profit as well so WE can have a bonus too (or not so bonus things on the months DF doesn't get a full schedule)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
yes deffently its apart of my job. and keeping the house maintained (clean) inside and out.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I do feel that frugality is part of my job title and I haven't been doing as well on that front. Trust me we will be doing better.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yes definately I feel it is part of my job. As others have said for most of us we have to be frugal to be able to stay at home. I do have slip ups but I feel that it is my job to see how far I can make the money go. Sometimes it goes farther than others but I still keep trying.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
yes and its a huge part of my job. like everyone says you have to adjust if you are a one income household as we are. i stretch our dollars as much as possible and spend a lot of the day trying to stretch the pennies too LOL

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I absolutely do. I think if it as both mine and DH's job. We both work full time outside of the home and so we both try to be as frugal as possible to ensure that we can both retire at an earlier age with financial security.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts