Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How we feel about things?

Okay I'm in a contemplative mood today and doing lots of thinking. In answer to this question, I think it does. My mom who is 77 continually is giving some of her things to family so that they can enjoy it while she can see them do so and she also realizes that she can't take anything with her when she leaves this earth. She realizes her days are numbered and is having fun decluttering and sharing her things with others.

I'm 54 and I've realized that as I'm aging, how I feel about things has changed and evolved. I remember when I was younger and first married, I wanted LOTS!! I even spent grocery money on a wonderful picture I wanted and dh didn't have a clue what we were going to eat for 2 weeks. Actually neither did I but what I wanted I bought, be it with cash or cc.

Now that has evolved into not just having things for the sake of having them, but for my enjoyment. I can see something I really like but don't have to have it in my home now to enjoy it. I can just enjoy it at the store and walk away from it with a trace of getting upset. When I was younger, I dwelt on it until I bought it!!

How about you - any thoughts!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I completely agree CJ. I have discovered that as I get older my needs and wants have changed. When I was younger I wanted a nice fancy car, now that I am older I know that I "need" a nice reliable car, it doesn't have to be fancy or even new, just reliable and economical. I wanted to be entertained when I was younger, that meant going out to dine or to a club for a night of dancing but now I know that a night at home with DH and DKs are worth more than all the fancy dinners or nights of dancing in the world.

I think that age brings with it a maturity and knowledge that only experience can give. I am grateful for each year and each seed of maturity that came with it. I think that the Lord has blessed me with a loving family and wonderful friends that enjoy more with each passing year.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have changed time and time again.... I am more strongly opinionated than I was, but less likely to share it........ I am a much more mellow person than I was (I'm a type A person) I was very ambitious, now I have different pursuits.... Not so long ago I worked 60 to 70 hour weeks, I missed much with the kids when they were smaller, but I put bread on the table...and made a pretty good living.. I was a professional and excelled at whatever I did.. Now I just work a part time job and take life a lot slower than I used to...... Now I make a living I can really be around to live....... I do find that I am a lot more critical than I was ........

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Young, I was very possesif...I never shard my things. Now, I share so much...

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I've mellowed, as I've aged. My temper isn't as short. I not only realize but am fine with the fact that we can live with out "things".
I don't need or really want fancy restraunts, or fast food...I cook from scratch, but will eat out once in a while.
I'm content to watch the birds...not be "running" all the time, I no longer want that "fast lane".
I'm sure theres more but its almost 2am and time for bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts