Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to a freezer group on Yahoo. Someone posted a question about how to use WIC food with freezer cooking. One of the women replied that she had tons of food from WIC. She had something like 36 boxes of cereal! Her freezer was full. She had tons of concentrated fruit juice. And theat she is looking for some good casseroles, that her husband loves chicken, and they eat lots of pork chops and roasts, and hamburger and beef roasts. She was all happy about all of her food, a freezer filled with meat, and she had 1/2 an elk in her freezer also. Then she signs her post something like loving mom to 4 with 1 on the way! I don't think it's right that you can have 4 children that you need the government to help you feed and that you can blissfully continue to have children. I have 3 children, and even with being frugal, I doubt very much that I could easily afford to feed another.
Now, I'm not saying that WIC is bad. We used WIC briefly when I was young, when my mom and dad got divorced. I hated it, all we received was peanut butter, hot dogs, and corn flakes (or at least that's the way it seemed to me). But it did keep us fed, though to this day, I refuse to eat corn flakes.
What do you all think? Don't you think at some point the government needs to say, yes we'll help you, but you also have to take some responsibility?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yes I agree that if it seems individuals are taking advantage of the system there needs to be a limit on what to give to them. I have never had to use government assistance but I'm so thankful it is out there because there are so many that truly need it and don't take advantage of it. Now I don't know this lady's situation except what you mentioned but if they continue to have children because they feel they get extra money or benefits from the goverenment then that is so sad and that would need to be stopped. I don't think they should have the assistance taken away but it should be limited.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i agree this is an abuse..im not against people having lots of children but u should only have as many as u can care for..and how can this lady have so many containers of juice unless she is not giving it to her children...i dont see how that is possible

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She said that she gets 6 dozen eggs a month! She didn't say specifically how much cereal or juice. But it must just be so much, she can't even consume it all with her 4 kids. I'm also not against large families. But I think if you can't feed the ones that you have without assistance, then you certainly don't need to be having more!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I've known people who've gotten WIC. They clearly give you too much food. One family I know had 3 WIC recipients in the same household at the same time. At one point there were 18 gallons of milk in the freezer. I think people abuse the privilege. I would never take something if I didn't desperately need it, frugal or not. The same thing with food stamps. I watch people at the thrift bread store, buying donuts, pies and cakes with food stamps. It's wrong.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
When I had DS#1 we had WIC. They did seem to give you alot, but it never seemed to be enough to stockpile. Just enough to get through until the next month's visit. I think we were only on it for 6 months. I remember them telling you if you did not need something that month to let them know and they would not give you a voucher for it. Maybe she needs to let them know she has plenty for a while. I think if you really need it, then it is fine, but to take advantage of the system is wrong.
Did the lady say she had children just to get gov. assistance? If so, this is sad. What would happen to her children if the assitance stopped?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
well I too was on WIC and welfare for a while in my life. I know that without it, many times we would have been in really bad trouble, especially the baby formula. There will always be those who abuse whatever system is meant to help those who are struggling. I would have to say that it is still necessary, even though many abuse it, to have a system in place to help needy people.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The posting on WIC is continuing on my food group, here is a direct quote from the latest post:

"I know that for a family of 3, you can make up to $2500 monthly and still qualify. Check it out everyone if you get the chance, it's a great program!!"

One woman who has lived in 4 states, is comparing what states are the best and give you the most (she's the one that's expecting her 5th child right now).

Maybe it's because I'm older (44), but I still remember when getting a hand out from the government was not something you went looking for. You did it if you had to, but only for as long as you needed it.

It makes me feel like my poor husband works his butt off everyday to feed our family and apparently a whole lot of other families!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I am offended by people that abuse the system, however I would never like to come to the day when Government programs tell women when and how they should plan their families....... I think as Americans we have allowed ourselves to believe that we are ENTITLED to all of this, I worked with a man who was selling turkeys to people, that he had gotten from food pantries and had signed up for every pantry in the area........ That disgusted me...
I think it is time people where made to work for some of what they get...... However I hope the help is always there for the ones who need it........ Shame on us, if a child in this country ever goes hungry !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I have to say that I disagree some on this. Of course a government program should not be abused, but WIC should also not be categorized with welfare. I have been on WIC since the birth of my first child and we have never made to much to not qualify. My husband works his butt off too. There have also been times when because of the ages of the children I was getting enough to stockpile. There have also been times like now that I have to supplement. WIC is not just a hand out is a terrific and beneficial program. They taught me to grocery shop frugally, feed my children healthy, how to live on beans if we had to. They were there for every step of breastfeeding my first child. I am firm believer that if you qualify for WIC you should be on it. The benefits of the classes and health checks were far more than the vouchers for food. This is just my hunble opinion and it is not ment to offend anyone. Just to add if she is getting 6 dozen eggs then she is probably getting 36 things of juice a month. There is a thin line between benefiting from a gov. program and abusing it. I know that some people are more than happy to cross it, but not everyone on a program is doing so. Okay I am off my soap box now.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I will get on that soap box with you lori and mylittle4. I have used wic also. My husband (the first one) worked his butt off too, but it did come in handy when we needed it. I was thankful not only for the food that they gave us, but also they told me where the well child clinic was. Which was a major help, seeing that we couldn't afford to have my childs shots at the doctors office. and I think that people who go to the thrift store with food stamps should be commended they have learned how to stretch those to last an entire month. they are not going to the grocery store and paying full price for things that they can get there. JMHO! :soapbox: is now being put away.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We were on WIC after we had our twins and it sure helped us out. We burned through our savings account before that just trying to keep them fed with formula. It also really did help with the shots and checkups. Even when we were on WIC I shopped around for the best prices on formula and told the WIC office so that they could stretch their budget further. They told me I was their only client that would look for the best prices and inform them. We took ourselves off the WIC program when my husband got a raise (we still qualified) and told them that we wanted the money that was being used for our family freed up to help another family. They were shocked to say the least that someone would voluntarily get off the program when they still qualified and they tried to talk me out of it. Having 2 children that qualified, we got more than enough eggs and peanut butter to last us for the month. The juice, we did go through with 5 in our family. I was so happy that the program was there when we needed it and I had to take a year off from work to take care of 3 children under the age of 3.
Now, as for the mother in question having more children, I really don't think anyone has a right to decide family size for another person. IF she is having more children just to get WIC (which I seriously doubt she is becuase it costs alot more to raise a family than you will ever get on WIC or welfare) then yes, that would be an abuse of the system. However, I have a good friend who just found out she is pregnant with baby number 5 (she has 4 older children and lost 2 to miscarriages) and she is going on WIC as she did with her previous pregnancies. This baby was a "surprise", but they want the best prenatal care for him/her and WIC helps to provide this and healthy baby follow up care and nutrition. My friend is the wife of a Pastor and they don't make a lot of money. Her husband has to take outside jobs to make ends meet. No, to the outside world it would seem that they should not be having more children, but babies are a blessing and the comments of people who have been against them having another child have been extremly hurtful to them. The size of their family is between them and God and no one else has the right to decide how big or small their family should be.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
hmsclmom- Well said!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
WOOOHOOOO...hmschlmom!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
adding the cheer for homeschoolmom :D
Couldn't have said it better.

The only thing I have to add, is I wish WIC could somehow not waste so much food by making everyone take sooo much. I am not even sure if they 'make' them take it all, but that's what my neighbor told me. So based on that alone I'm not really sure if that's what they do ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am currently on WIC and I have to say that the requirements to get on the program are pretty lenient, and my WIC department are begging me to get my frineds if they qualify on the program, if they do not have enough people they lose funding from the goverment and people who are needy but do not qualify for medicaid suffer. I don't think of it as a hand out, my taxes pay for these programs and I am grateful that they are there. As it was mentioned before, if that women has five children she is getting an obscene amount of juice, cereal, and peanut butter a month. Good for her that she is stockpiling it and not wasting it. Her decision to have more children is hers alone, I am currently TTC and I am on the WIC program and don't find my desire to have another child and recieve what amounts to forty dollars off my grocery bills constitute as mooching. When my Dh graduates and we don't qualify for WIC anymore we will get off the program, choosing to stay at home with my children was a difficult especially when it came down to GULP getting WIC, but it was more than worth the dirty looks at the grocery store.

Nealy

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me explain where I am coming from on this point of view. I have taught school in a very, very poor neighborhood. I've seen children who are really poor, come to school hungry. They get the free breakfast and lunch, but I always worried about what they ate in the evening. Most of the help their parents got from the government went to buy booze or drugs, food for their kids was last on the list. When you see 17 year old girls who all ready have 2 children and are pregnant now, you start thinking, someone needs to stop this. I know that family size is between you and God, but when you have to watch these children struggle to just get fed, to just get clothes, you start thinking, maybe the government needs to just stop giving them money for more kids and start doing something to fix the problem. So, when I read about someone who has a nice house with a computer, with internet connection, a freezer filled with food, and who has 36 boxes of cereal that the government gave her, I get angry. When she is online looking for recipes for pot roasts and boneless chicken breasts, I get angry. So, I start thinking, maybe if the government would take some of this money that they are using to give food away to so many people, and instead used some of that money to go into these neighborhoods and make sure that the children who need it so badly, are getting it, it might make a bigger difference.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I for one don't think the government has to do anything to fix problems, they "fix" enough already. I feel badly for girls who have families at such a young age, and see welfare as a solution to there problems, but the goverment has programs to get people off of these programs( there is a cap on benefits as mandated by the state about five years total or less by circumstance) and make them self sufficient. The down side of these get off public assistance programs is that they give women a JOB but they have to leave their children in sub standard child care all day long, quite often they return home rather than sacrifice their childrens safety for the vanity of saying they have a job;and are not mooching off all those giving tax payers who's total taxes wasted on these programs amount to all of about 3% of all taxes collected. Maybe you should be angry that your husband works all day supporting corrupt congressmen and red tape. Are you angry because the women is eating so well? She is more resourceful than the people that use food stamps for cigarettes.I think that she is resourceful, and looking at stretching her money shows that she is taking good care of her family. I eat quite well for my income braket too. Mothering magazine offers a compelling look at the public assistance program in it's november/december issue.

Nealy

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Scrappycat, I really can understand your frustration in seeing kids who go without and the blatant abuse of the help given to them with the parents smoking and boozing. I too was a teacher who watched kids go without even the basics in life while their parents went out drinking, smoking and belonged to pool leagues. These poor kids would come to school filthy and infested with head lice. We called DSHS and had the family reported and we also had soap, shampoo and some clean clothes at school for the kids so they could get a shower in the morning at school. I remember once when the oldest girl said they had a wonderful dinner the night before, they each got their own small pot pie and a biscuit! She said that was the best dinner because they each got their own and they were not hungry afterwards. Isn't that sad????:( My heart just breaks for those children because every time they were removed from the home, the state just put them back in without doing any followup and one of the kids ended up with a hearing loss in one ear because his parents didn't get him to the doctor when he had a severe ear infection and his eardrum ruptured (but they had money for their pool league and drinking).:mad: So, yes, I do understand why you are upset with the situation that you see at school. However, I don't think that situation has anything to do with the woman on your freezer list. That woman is doing the best that she can to feed her family and do it well. We don't know what kind of sales she hit to get those
meats, and I'll be willing to bet that she did find good sales. I used to be on one of those list that you mentioned and I think I remember posts by that lady. She got some incredible deals on marked down meats. I know that I am able to get lunchmeats marked down to 29 cents a package when they are close to their pull dates and I stock my freezer with them. Normally I would not be able to afford these full priced, but with the markdowns I can. I'm also able to find beautiful steaks, chuck roasts, pork roasts, etc. at 1/4 of their original cost. My freezer is also stocked full with all my good finds and our family eats really well for having a food budget of only $200 a month to feed 5 including 3 teenaged boys and lots of their friends.:) You will regularly find jambalaya, kalua pig, BBQ beef on a bun, baked chicken, salmon, trout, pork chops, ham, etc. on my menu. We can have these food for the same costs of eating hamburger all the time. It just depends on how you shop and what deals are available to you.:)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I think it's wrong!! I can remember when Daniel was little and DH only made about $800.00 a MONTH while we were in the ARMY. I could NOT get help from anyone! NOT even the ARMY. I had a brand new baby, car payment, ins etc... and no help!! yet an e-6 with three kids could get the help!! Made no sence then nor NOW!! I have had friends that totally relied on Government assistance, and they love it. I however have never received any help not even when I didn't eat so that my family could!! it just P***es me off that some people have the Gaul to do that!!

Sorry I went off, but it really ticks me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts