Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently spend 500 a month on Pediasure(DS is tubefed and insurance won't cover it) so there's no way to get around that expense however I have been trying to get our grocery bill way down. I currently have it around 150 a month. I am curious though if anyone here has saved alot by using coupons? Would it be cheaper generally to just buy the store or genaric brands? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
yes, I use coupons if the total after the coupon is less than the store brand - which leads me to my question for you :D

have you tried the store brand of pediasure? I know the Kroger brand is a few dollars less - and if you sign up for the 'baby club' it's worth double club points - after you hit 200 points, you get $10 off your bill. (Kroger brand is double points - Brand name is single points - one point per dollar)

My son drinks the Kroger brand strawberry for the added calories - so I understand your expense somewhat - :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! Yeah I actually buy the walmart brand of pediasure currently. He goes through about 1 and a half package a day as well as instant breakfast( for added calories) added to all of those feeds. 500 is a very low estimate now that I think of it and as a single mama that's just breaking the bank every month! Since I have already went to a store brand, I can't seem to find another way to get that cost down so I am really trying to cut every other cost( got rid of dsl and switched to 9.95 mth dial up, no cable, reuse everything etc). I figured I might be able to cut the grocery bill some more if I tried. It's already fairly low though.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I buy mostly generic foods and then I use coupons for store brand products only if the cost after the coupon would be cheaper than generic. There are a few items we buy name brand that I always use a coupon for. My hair dye, pantene conditioner, and toothpaste. I don't know if you use homemade cleaning products, but I have found that helps my budget instead of buying the expensive cleaners. I use cloth napkins and towels so that I don't have to buy paper products (other than :tp: we have to have that).

It sounds like it's mostly the pediasure that costs so much for you per month. My step brother has cerebral palsey and is in a wheel chair. He can move his hands and pick up his head a little. He's in a motorized wheel chair. He qualifies for some money from the state each month, which I know goes towards helping with his special needs (I don't know how old he was when he qualified though, I know it was an early age). He can eat enough solid foods on his own though, to not need many if any nutrient drinks. Let me know if you need coupons for pediasure, when I come across them I would be happy to send them to you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes I could definitly use coupons for Pediasure if you happen to find them.
And I did apply for disability income from the state( which they said would be 100-150) but it was a few months ago and they said it will take 6 months at least to get accepted or denied but every little bit of money helps that's for sure so hopefully they will decide soon. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh yes I could definitly use coupons for Pediasure if you happen to find them.
And I did apply for disability income from the state( which they said would be 100-150) but it was a few months ago and they said it will take 6 months at least to get accepted or denied but every little bit of money helps that's for sure so hopefully they will decide soon. Thanks for the input!
can your son take Boost? I have $1.50 off any pack Boost blinkies if you can use them. There's a sale at Walgreens if you have one plus rebate if you buy 2 packs. PM me if you can use the blinkies and I will send you some plus a potluck of other coupons you might find useful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you thought about calling the makers Pediasure or any other acceptable brands of this type of product and asking for coupons? I know it works for almost any other product and maybe if they hear your story, something bigger and better may come of it. Many companies look for ways to "give back" and you could become the beneficiary of it. Just a thought. Good luck to you and your ds.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It ususally depends if I use coupons. I compare my sales with what I need and if I have a coupon if its cheaper to buy generic after the cents off. I mostly shop Aldi's, but buy my meats at krogers, Campbells, or Walmart.

I agree with bumplett, I would go to krogers and buy their brand since you get the points. I also would call different agencies to see if someone could help with the Pediasure. Sending an email and explaining your situation to pediasure also might prompt them to send you coupons for free bottles or money off. Some companies when they hear about a situation such as yours might give you stuff you need for a year. Its worth a try.

We had a little girl in our area who was paralyzed and needed a new wheelchair. The parents were trying to raise money to get her one. A local pharmacy who specializes in equipment for people gave her a brand new motorized one for free. I don't know if its just our community or what but when someone is in a true need, the people just seem to come together to help others out. Not our local government agencies just good people.
I hope your son gets approved for SSI to help with his pediasure.
God Bless you, you seem like a very loving mom.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I use coupons if I can get the name brand cheaper than the generic.

There have been many times I have gotten the item free or just a few cents because of the item being on sale and using a coupon with it.

I always take my coupons to every store with me. You never know when you might get a good deal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I do. But I use them more for the (free) rebating than anything else. It is more viewed as a game for me.
Poke around on the web. There are some very organized coupon sites that will help you with lists that sometimes are even ranked as hot deals or not with coupons to match and where to find them (you don't even have to cut them out until you need them!).
As for time you do start off slow. But now I can have my list ready in 10-15 min each week.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I try to use coupons when I can but most of the time the store brand is cheaper then the main brand with a coupon. On average I use maybe 4 or 5 coupons every trip.

I agree with duchess, try calling the company and asking for coupons. I have done that a few times and they were happy to send me some.

Also try to cut things other way, like limiting meat more. I cook with meat a lot but I use half of what I used to. I buy a 5lb roll of ground beef, cut it up into 10 pieces (about a 1/2 lb each) and freeze them in freezer bags. I can pull out exactly what I need a couple days before and let it thaw in the fridge. That really cut our food budget down.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I try to use coupons when I can but most of the time the store brand is cheaper then the main brand with a coupon. On average I use maybe 4 or 5 coupons every trip.

I agree with duchess, try calling the company and asking for coupons. I have done that a few times and they were happy to send me some.

Also try to cut things other way, like limiting meat more. I cook with meat a lot but I use half of what I used to. I buy a 5lb roll of ground beef, cut it up into 10 pieces (about a 1/2 lb each) and freeze them in freezer bags. I can pull out exactly what I need a couple days before and let it thaw in the fridge. That really cut our food budget down.

Hey are you on cinchouse.com? I remember seeing all those blinkies on there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
HAHA! Yeah I am. And I just recongnized your s/n. I was just about to ask you the same thing. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAHA! Yeah I am. And I just recongnized your s/n. I was just about to ask you the same thing. :D

Lol, nice to see ya here. I just joined not too long ago.:mdance:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I use coupons when we shop. & so far this year I have been averaging a savings of $100.00+ a month.
I always look for sale items as well as compare prices between store brand and national brand products & sometimes store brands are cheaper & sometimes they are NOT.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed Pediasure and may call. Thanks for that tip!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lol, nice to see ya here. I just joined not too long ago.:mdance:

:) I'm on here about as much as I'm on cinc. Haha. Sometimes it's nice to get away from all the military life drama.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
this has got to be such a hard situation for you. Have you looked into making your own concotion of things to feed your ds? I have heard of other people doing this with great success. You could do a search online for this sort of information and see what comes up. I know it would have to include all the nutrition your ds would need, but would likely have less process ingredients, like corn syrup and such that your ds doesn't need. I remember reading about a family that did this and they included such things as avocados, apples, potatoes, whole grain rice, and about 10-15 other things. It is just an idea and maybe you could at least supplement with this? I have no idea if it would save you money, but it might be better for your ds. Although he is so young, I don't know if his system could handle it? I am thinking out loud here. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Absolutely, I use them anywhere I can. Sometimes it's cheaper to go with the store brand, sometimes its not. We have grocery stores here that double coupons up a dollar, so $2 off is not a bad deal! I'll keep my eye out Sunday for any coupons for you:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts