Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or imitation vanilla in your baking? I have used imitation vanilla in my baking for a long time, but Gabe bought me real vanilla last night. :eek:

·
27,948 Posts
I use both. Sometimes I think the immitation gives a more vanilla like flavor, lol. Other times I can't tell.:loop: Since my taste buds don't seem to care, I buy cheap.:)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I use the fake variety here. And I'll be using it for a loooonnngggg time.... DH picked it up for me last time, and got it in the warehouse-sized jug. I'll probably be leaving vanilla for my grandchildren someday. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I use real. I just picked up some different type vanilla at the Mennonite store, it's alcohol free and said on a sign that it had a different taste from most vanilla products, I have yet to try it but am interested in seeing if it is better or worse than the usual stuff.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I like to use real and IMHO Mexican vanilla is the best. I also make it if I can't get any from Mexico. It is just any white grain alcohol and a vanilla bean with a slit down the side. The key to using the homemade stuff is to let it seap for a long time.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I use real vanilla. I buy it at the flea market and it is the vanilla from Mexico. I get it for $5 for a large bottle, it lasts at least a year.:)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I use the real stuff--don't like the imitation flavor. :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I also use the real stuff- I can tell the difference in my cookies. But I never get fancy schmancy and use vanilla beans though...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i've been using vanilla powder i ordered online two years ago for a craft project. before that, i used what ever i could get the cheapest. i use it mostly in cookies and you really can't taste the difference in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts