Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas going up, do you still plan to use your car air conditioning as the temperature goes up as well? I generally will turn the AC on until it gets cool in the car then only use the vent fan on the lowest temp. I do this because sometimes the AC gets too cold and I refuse to turn up the temp and still run the AC! Do you prefer the windows down when it starts really getting hot? I like them down in the spring and sometimes in the late days of summer, but it gets rather humid here. Coincidentally I watch a piece on MythBusters last year that demonstrated that using the AC gets better gas mileage that driving 60 MPH with all of the windows down. It had something to with wind drag on the vehicle. So which do you prefer? :traffic:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
yikes. I live in Texas, a/c is a must. Funny thing is though, that we don't have central air in the house. We've got tile floors and it keeps the house beautifully cool. Pop a few windows open (make sure they have screens because of the mosquito populations down here) and some iced tea..... does the trick. Oh yeah, gotta love heavy curtains. Keeps the sun's heat out.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
heavy curtains on windows that sun hits, open windows where sun doesnt hit. boxed fans help with circulation, things like that.

in the car though, something as small as putting a towel on your dashboard when you leave it parked somewhere for a while, can really make a huge difference in what the car feels like when you comeback. also... keep some iced water with you, its just plain nice.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm in So Cal so AC in the car during the summer for me is a must!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I live in GA, I can't do without A/C, either. However, I survived without it for all of my childhood.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We use the A/C. I try to reserve it for only the hottest days though. I also put it on "recurculate" and turn it off and on to save money.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Trying not to do to much driving but when it's hot
we will probably be using the AC. Wish we could go
without.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I like it to be warm in the car, but not hot. When it gets "too" hot, I turn it on. Hubby turns it on way before I do.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Central Florida in the Summer is treacherous without A/C - so my answer is a BIG YES!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
lord yes! I would die of heat stroke. If its 80 outside its 110 in my car. Every summer we have somebody die from the hear in there car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Even here in Wisconsin I plan to use it when it gets warmer. We're used to such a cold winter that it takes us a long time to get used to the warm. By the time we are, it's cold again!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
not everyone has a/c in their car though. my mother works in an office when we were growing up, where she'd dress very nice and use makeup. i always felt so bad for her because even if she left at 6 am, before the sun had really been able to cause much damage to the temp, she still got to work hot and exhausted (heat can wear you out).

she started to take her work clothes with her and change at the office. waited on doing her makeup too.

some ideas for folks who just dont have a/c in their car, but live somewhere where it gets really hot.....

-tint your windows. you can get this done now for about $40, depending on the size of your windows and how many you have (suv's have more than cars, trucks have less).

- drape a towel or sheet over the front two seats when you leave your car. butt burn isnt fun. do this on my dashboard too.

- when you're driving, simply sticking your hand out the window a little bit causes a nice breeze to pass thru. dont go and stick your whole arm out, we dont want any accidents.

- keep water with you, always. you might not think you'll need it but the heat can be a powerful thing.

- keep your car clear of clutter and unnecessary items. if your car is full of stuff, its just going to feel hotter and .. stickier. this might just be me but if my car is dirty, its just like starting the day off with the "blahs".

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I grew up without AC in both car and home. I use AC in both home and car now because of all my allergies. Leaving the windows open just invites all those little pollens to come visiting!

The school where I taught has never been air conditioned. The freshmen always complained, and the upper classmen took it as a badge of honor that they could survive! It could get pretty sticky, and several times my dress would stick to the varnished chair! But I used AC in the car coming and going to school.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The power windows in the car no longer work and the cost to fix them is ridiculous. I use the A/C when I'm having a hot flash. Heck when I'm having one of my hot flashes I'm tempted to get nekkid and roll in crushed ice!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Hardly ever use it. DH has his blasting all the time.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts