Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get/buy special Easter outfits?

At our house we don't get Easter outfits just to get new Easter outfits.

If the someone is in need of a new Spring outfit they get one. This is almost every year for growing children.

Little Miss Has an Easter outfit this year. We bought a pretty Land's End summer dress at the Goodwill $1.79 and a short sleeve sweater shrug for 25 cents at a Church sale. Shoes sandal are a present from Grandma $0.

Buddy - needed new dress clothes This is also his concert uniform and any other dress up need. Black pants and a white button down shirt $28.79 He was not in need of new shoes or tie at this time.

Hubby and I, the grown ups, did not get new Easter outfits this year we normally don't. We can wear outfits we have.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I remember buying Easter outfits for my son and daughter every year. I always loved doing that because spring meant winter is over. Now they are 12 and 14 - no more new outfits : (
You got great deals on your daughter's outfit and your son's was basically necessary for school! Your kids will look great on Easter

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Until the past couple of years, yes. Normally they were matching, monogrammed and/or smocked. Sometimes the outfits had things like bunnies or chicks done in the smocking and in spring colors, yellows, pinks, baby blue. I always had their photographs done in their Easter clothes.

Now they are 16 and 14 and they don't really get new duds for the occasion. Plus, we usually don't attend church services on Easter and our extended family no longer eats Easter dinner at the country club like we use to.

If we were going to a service or other Easter event, then yes, I would probably get them new outfits.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Until the past couple of years, yes. Normally they were matching, monogrammed and/or smocked. Sometimes the outfits had things like bunnies or chicks done in the smocking and in spring colors, yellows, pinks, baby blue. I always had their photographs done in their Easter clothes.

Now they are 16 and 14 and they don't really get new duds for the occasion. Plus, we usually don't attend church services on Easter and our extended family no longer eats Easter dinner at the country club like we use to.

If we were going to a service or other Easter event, then yes, I would probably get them new outfits.
I remember my mom made me a dress with an embroidered bunny once.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
With the plethora of clothes my children have, no, I am not buying special Easter clothes. They will be wearing absolutely adorable clothing though that they already ahve.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do still buy them an outfit each for Easter. DD (9) and DS (6). They are not the "super fancy, frilly type" outfit. Just a nice outfit that can be worn again over the spring and summer for church or for a dress-up occasion. DD already has a dress that was a handmedown, DS has outgrown his dress pants, he has shirts that he can wear. Both will need shoes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nope. DH and I attend an Evangelical church- so it's come as you are :) For Eater, we'll probably dress a bit nicer than usual though

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Like jennybethg, I go to an evangelical church and it's 'come as you are'. I always wear a skirt and nice shirt or blouse to church. I got the girls a new summer/Easter dress for the girls to wear this coming Sunday. They'll get quite a few uses out of it this summer, so it was a good excuse to buy a dress. lol!

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Imagine, those were great deals!

Our church is come as you are, but I usually wear my good outfit on Sundays and being Easter I definately will. Most dress up for Easter services. We always dress for Easter dinner at my in-laws.

We will not be buying new outfits though, my husband has a few good outfits (and 1 suit and 1 pair of good shoes) and LOTS AND LOTS of ties to switch them up since he's in the choir and standing in front of the church every Sunday morning. This Easter the ladies are wearing aqua (there own clothing, no matchy-matchy stuff) and the men were asked to wear splashes of aqua. Thank God my husband had a tie way back in his closet that was aqua, no need to go out and get a new one. Love that we can save money by him having a huge tie collection!

My oldest has to work :( and my youngest at 15 wants to dress like the rest of the youth, they never dress up. He has "nice" pants and some nicer t-shirts, decent sneakers (the ones he wears for good) and of course he'll wear one of his fedros (spelling?) Kids got a bunch of those hats, he'll wear a matching one but not in church. I guess he's kind of like his Dad and those ties when it comes to his hats!

·
19,119 Posts
This thread brings back a lot of nice memories. Since we attend sunrise services on Easter, we tend to dress nicely, but not with new clothing. Still do love to see the young ones dressed up for Easter!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I do want my kids to look special for Easter. I remember getting a new dress for Easter and Christmas. Then you wore the Christmas one all winter every Sunday and the Easter one all summer, lol. I scour garage sales and usually have no problem finding stuff for my younger kids. My oldest dd just wear something nice she has. My boys tend to get nice dark jeans and a polo shirt. Dh and I wear what we've got.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Nope... nothing new. Diva is on a growth spurt again, she hates wearing anything extremely girly (think typical Easter dress), and we aren't going anywhere we normally don't.

Growing up we had new white clothes for Easter... Mom took our pics in it and 5 minutes later we were covered in grass stains :lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
The boys are getting new track pants from the Easter bunny. That is it. I will wear a dress to church on Easter as I did on palm Sunday but thats about it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When I was a kid (about 100 years ago:) I got either a dress and hat or a spring coat for Easter. And shoes, usually the hated brown oxfords. Christmas was the same, with a winter coat. Since I wore uniforms to school I really didn't need much else.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
nope. We will all wear the same "come as you are" (but things is nice condition) clothes that we wear each Sunday to church. This year we are going to our local community sunrise service at 6:30, going to the local community pancake breakfast, and then driving 20 miles "down the hill" to our home chuch for Easter services. New clothes or not..... He is Risen! (He is Risen, indeed!!)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, nothing new for easter. We stay home and watch movies and eat candy. Usually we stay in our jammies on Sundays.

Do you eat some Peeps? I noticed your Avatar.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I was little, all of us (5) got new Easter clothes. Dress, jacket, hat, gloves, purse & usually some kind of shoe. When I think about it now, I wonder where my parents got the money. When my 3 girls were little, I made their dresses. Bought new socks to wear with sandals, hair bows, a new purse. I gave their dresses away... sure wish I would have kept them-my gr'dau's could have worn them. Attention-young mothers-watch what you throw out & gr'kids come sooner than you think! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts