Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because my middle son(he's 12 yrs old) came into my room 3 times last night complaining that he can't fall asleep...the 4th time he came in crying saying that it's 11:30 and he's gonna be to tired to concentrate in school..I told him I didn't know what to do about it? Then I told him to just get in my bed (my Dh is in California for 2 weeks) and try to fall asleep and if he's to tired by morning he could just stay home with me..I feel bad for him and he hates to CRY... so when he starts crying it's serious...He did go to school any way..As far as I know of he hasn't had any problems with school mates..nothing is different here except Dh being gone and it's not that because he's had this problem for a month now..Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
maybe the time change has messed up his groove? talk to a pediatrician, i bet they'll have ideas

·
Registered
426 Posts
We have problems, but ours is with a two-year old so I'm not much help. I'm actually dealing with problem right this minute. She refuses to calm down to sleep unless I lay with her and my stomach has been causing me problems at night so I don't want to lay down. Ugh! If anyone has a solution I'm game!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
well I know that with my oldest he always had a hard time to go to sleep. So i started to put on music in his room, or the radio he fell asleep right away. With my youngest he reads for at least 20 minutes before he goes to sleep or plays GBA , most times its reading, with proper lighting on his bed post.
Most kids need time to calm their little bodies down at least 30 minutes before because their going all day on 4 cyclinders lol

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My teens both have a hard time going to sleep. The doctor told me that they shouldn't have any caffine after 5 pm and no food after 7 pm. The caffine is obvious, but the food thing he said the stomach is still working even if you are trying to get to sleep. It is better for it to be near empty. The other thing he pointed out is they need daily exercise. Mine now have to go to the gym with me. We also kept in place a routine similar to when they were smaller- off the games by 8:30, bath, brushing teeth, etc.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I was like that for a long time as a child. First, if he has a clock in his room--take it out. Second, my mom used to emphasize that it wasn't sleep I needed just rest. She told me to stay in bed and not worry about sleep--just relax and rest. She didn't allow t.v. before bed time, just reading. We didn't have computers back in the day, put pull the plug on that, too (if it applies).

Also, maybe try giving him Sleepy Time tea (Celestial Seasonings) before bed. A lot of times I think it's mind over matter. After my mom got me focused on rest vs. sleep--I had no problems at all.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My youngest had a lot of problems with sleep... When he was 10-11 he use to come in an tell me he couldn't sleep.........When I asked why he told me he was pondering. I asked him what he was pondering and it always was life and death. We use to talk until he could go to sleep. He's 21 and still ponders things. He's still that way. I can get on the computer at 10pm and he will still be up and there is 3 hours time difference between. So mine never out grew it........... Hope things settle down for your son.
Fern

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd like to recommend Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution".

Last night was the first time EVER that DS has gone to sleep by himself AND slept through the night!:hurray: I'm enjoying having "mommy time" and time with DH again.

I've also been using the same techniques with 12 yr old DD, DH and Myself!

Everyone in the house is sleeping better, and it's improved the overall mood of the entire family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts