Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I am no Sara - I am a complete novice - I downloaded firefox and spybot and though it kicked out 178 tainted adware/spyware thingies it said it was compromised by Internet explorer - I have Deleted IE seven times and every time I reboot  my HP puts it back in there - it literally "overwrites " me - do you have any idea what I am doing wrong and how I can make firefox my primary - does it work against me that I haveAOL? Now even in threads in the Village, I click on something and I get 15 IE commercials about where to find simple lliving or how to buy athritis, or how to get frugal from Ebay! They are blowing right past my pop up blocker and I think it started with the kids going on the "NEW" neopet site.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
kimmee, I am no Dodger but I have both IE and mozilla on mine. I just open up mozilla and don't open IE. Works for me. :D I wouldn't delete IE if it were me....but then I'm no computer brain either.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Well, I don't have AOL. But when I open Mozilla by clicking on the dinosaur then my dial up connects. You could probably look in AOL under preferences or something to choose your browser. But here again, I'm no eggspert.

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Q: I had planned to switch to the Firefox browser. However, in checking with AOL, which is my Internet provider, I was informed that AOL must use Internet Explorer. If I get online with AOL, can I still use Firefox?

A: The AOL software has its own built-in browser, which is indeed a version of Internet Explorer. So, if you do your Web surfing inside the AOL software, Firefox isn't an option.

However, once you make an Internet connection with AOL, you can minimize the AOL software, and launch other programs that can make use of the connection provided by AOL, including Firefox.

Taken from:
http://ptech.wsj.com/mailbox.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts