Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my local store has TP on sale I try to stock up. I was getting the 24 roll "single roll" packs for $3.99, reg $7.99. So $12.5c per roll.

They seem to be phasing out the single rolls and now offer "double rolls". This week they have on sale 12 roll "double roll" packs for $3.99 ea, not sure reg price, but probably around $7.99 ea.

Does a double roll really equal two single rolls?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Not always. Compare the packages, they will say somewhere how many plys, and the size and number of sheets. Also, compare between brands.

When I was a lot more into deal shopping, people on the shopping forum I frequented would price toilet paper by the sheet to find the best deal.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think if its the same brand it is. The problem is now they have come up with the big roll which is not equal to a double roll

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and got one of the double roll packs that was on sale for $3.99 (reg 7.99). It is the store brand, what I usually buy. I looked at the label on the single roll pack and the rolls have 150 sheets each. The double rolls have 300 sheets. So it is double, in this case anyway.

I have a 24 roll "single roll" pack in my stockpile from another brand and it is 175 sheets per roll. Not sure what that brands double rolls are like.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Lately, every time I check the double rolls, there's less sheets per roll than before...And they definitely don't equal two single rolls anymore...Or that's what I've found in the area where I live.

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
When I was a lot more into deal shopping, people on the shopping forum I frequented would price toilet paper by the sheet to find the best deal.
This is what I do. My wife only allows one brand of TP, much to my chagrin, so I try to find the best deal on that brand. I take the cost of the entire package, and break it down by sheet. The larger packages are not always the cheapest.

I do the same thing with Kleenex. For that matter, I do the same thing with any product for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If I can get the expensive brands I like on sale, we run off two rolls of TP. I like the more expensive brands and since I am the only female and I use it more, the nice stuff is reserved for me.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I found the first time I used the thicker double roll toilet paper that it was used up really quickly. It might seem plump and large but it seems to get used up faster. I basically stick to the CVS brand single ply toilet paper when it is on sale. Seems to last the longest.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IT seems like these so-called double rolls are now the same size as a single roll used to be. Toilet paper companies tick me off! First they start making the rolls have fewer sheets, then fewer plys, and then they shorten the width of the roll by about an inch. All the while keeping prices the same (and sometimes raising them) Jerks! :horse:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I was in looking at a double roll the other day, it was 280 sheets. Then they had an 'ultra' double, which was 3 ply instead of 2 ply - but it was only 200 sheets. The name makes it sound like you are getting an even larger roll, when it's actually not.

And yes, they are definitely shrinking the rolls. When the double rolls first came out I didn't buy them because they were too fat to fit on the holder, I haven't had that problem with them in a while. I had to buy double last time as they didn't have singles, and they look exactly like a regular roll.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Funny to see this post because I was just wondering about this the other day. I noticed the store brand I always buy has a big difference in their soft and their premium to the tune of 65 sheets a roll difference for the same price. It's 6 "double rolls" of 190 sheets for 3.79. On sale it's usually 2.49. I am fine with soft. I bought CVS brand one ply a few months ago not realizing it was one ply and even my youngest daughter asked me if I would buy "real tp" next time I was out. LOL.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
One thing I thought about: I need to make sure the sheets are the same size. If one brand has 2"x2" sheets, and another one has 4"x4" sheets, I need to take that into account when doing my calculations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts