Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about your thoughts on supports groups. Do you think they are vital in the beginning times of home learning?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I joined a homeschooling group in my area and so far I have not found it helpfull. We went to one event and that was nice, DD go to play with a bunch of other kids. But beyond that I can't really get a response about much. I found it more helpful to go to our local educational store.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went a few times and the moms seemed very "clicky". Just wondering what others thought as Iam real new to all of this.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We are very fortunate to have an awesome group in our tri-count area. There are get togethers every week, field trips several times a month, clubs, textbook exchanges, overnight and weekend adventures, co-op classe, etc... There are so many people that participate, that everyone finds their own clique within the group.

Also, in our state you are required to belong to a cover school and ours act as a support group to all of those enrolled.

I do not know how vital the support group is to your success in homeschooling. It is nice to have if you are comfortable with the people and you feel you are gaining something from it. I do however think it is very important to have atleast one other parent you can call on like a mentor. Someone who has been where you are and to be there when it gets rough, to answer questions and just basically be there for you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I call on you guys? I just don't know about the group in our area.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Beth, I have found that with online support groups like this one, I can get my questions answered quicker. our support group meets just once a month, so it has been slow getting to know people. Especially since we always have our kids with us. I tend to do lots of chasing, changing diapers and taking potty, as I have younger kids, and others don't. So I am left out of alot of the conversations with other adults. In CO, our support group had a presentation day each month for the kids (same here), but they also had a moms night, which was a life saver. I could really get to know people that way, without kids running around.

I have considered it necessary in both states, the first as we were new to homeschooling and I needed support from other homeschoolers, it seemed I was the only one doing it and the second, as we are new to the area, I am trying to meet other women and I want the kids to be around other kids, especially homeschooled kids, so they don't feel so singled out. Good luck! Maybe look for a new one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts