Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in this, and would like to hear anyone's stories or tips!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I do, but I cheat and use my Kitchenaid! LOL!

I get milk from a farm and skim the cream off the top. I them put the cream in the big bowl of my kitchenaid and let it sit for about an hour to warm up slightly. Using my wire whip attachment, I turn it on about the 5 or 6 setting and let it whip the cream. After a bit, it starts to get thick and then the milk seperates from the butter. Pour off the milk and rinse the butter really well with cold water to get all the milk residue out. Add about a teaspoon of salt to the butter and whip again to mix the salt in. Gather up the butter and put on some heavy duty paper towels and press down to get the moisture out. Press butter into a shallow container and refrigerate. You can then cut it into sticks and freeze some for future use.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I purchased a paddle churn (shown on the Walton Feed link CJ posted) last fall at a sale and really want to try it......on my list!!;) :smball:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the websites and tips ladies. I'll keep you posted on how my "experiment" turns out!

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dd likes to make different kinds of butter for special occasions. She just puts the ingredients into a jelly jar, turns on some music and dances around for a while! LOL!! Great way to make small amounts of butters to see what flavors you want to go with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Milhos said:
My dd likes to make different kinds of butter for special occasions. She just puts the ingredients into a jelly jar, turns on some music and dances around for a while! LOL!! Great way to make small amounts of butters to see what flavors you want to go with.
What a great idea! My DD made butter in the same way with a canning jar for a homeschooling project (she researched it, did it, and then wrote a report), but we never thought if doing flavored butter. :) Thanks for the great tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts