Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family go through socks like crazy and I'm thinking of trying to darn them, at least the ones that just have little holes. Wondering if it is worth the time doing this tedious chore. Does anyone do this any more? Do the socks last enough longer to make it worth it?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I did - when I was working. You pay more money for 'dress' socks that are thinner and not the same durable quality as the white gym socks.

If they're gym socks...depends on how much life is left in the sock and where the hole is but normally I'd say yes I'd spend the time to fix them vs buying new socks altogether.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to, when I was working and wore black dress socks all the time. Now I mostly wear tennis shoes (or sandals or heels), so I don't bother to fix the dress socks anymore, since they don't wear out as quickly. Usually my tennis-shoe-socks (gym socks?) wear out on the sole and I don't know how to fix that so they get thrown out. I buy them at the dollar store anyway, so not a huge money saver fixing them.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I darn mine! $94/pair for my support hose to wear to work. You can bet I darn them :)

I also have always darned/repaired the regular socks too. If it has a large hole, I use a "spare" sock for material and patch the holey one.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I darn the white gym socks as that is about all the 3 guys in my house wear and one of them, and I know who it is, pulls them so tight pulling them up he frequently puts his finger through them or his toe. He also steals everyone elses so most of the socks end up with a hole well before thier time. Wanna guess who's teenage son is getting sewing lessons this summer from his mother?

I darn other socks too if they are still in good shape but most of the time they're pretty toast before they get holes in them.

Reactions: frugalfriend

·
8,714 Posts
~I used to darn and patch DH's socks before the kids came along. It's just too time consuming for the extra life and savings. DH thinks the patches are uncomfortable.
I think we'd be better off acclimating ourselves to homemade sewn socks. If we just got used to having the seam on the top or sides we could save a ton of time and money making socks from cast off clothes and sweaters. Sewn socks are on my to-do list. ;) ~

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I started fixing mine last year, well the ones worth fixing. They have made it almost another year. I think it was worth it. I'm trying to do away with thinking throw it away and buy new.
I use to darn my sons all the time when he was little.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've been considering doing this because we have so many socks in need of it, but DH thinks they will be uncomfortable. I may start trying it while I am watching TV at night.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have done it in the past. All types of socks. To me ot was worth the time i just did it while i was watching tv in the evening Now I am trying to learn how to knit my own and I am hoping they will last longer. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I do, especially if it's just a small hole. Then it's just 3 or 4 stitches and I'm done and the sock will last another year or so. Even if it lasts only 3 more wearings, I'm glad I had those! And it's no effort; at the moment I only watch the telly at night, I'm happy to be doing something constructive.

·
Registered
326 Posts
~I used to darn and patch DH's socks before the kids came along. It's just too time consuming for the extra life and savings. DH thinks the patches are uncomfortable.
I think we'd be better off acclimating ourselves to homemade sewn socks. If we just got used to having the seam on the top or sides we could save a ton of time and money making socks from cast off clothes and sweaters. Sewn socks are on my to-do list. ;) ~
nuisance 26, do you have a pattern for socks? I've never heard of anyone sewing socks, and I'm intrigued. I have 2 young girls that would love some unique socks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I darn hubbys socks if they are worth the darn. I swear that man can wear out socks in a days time. I wear black socks for work and mine wear out in the heal, so not worth the darn there.

·
8,714 Posts
nuisance 26, do you have a pattern for socks? I've never heard of anyone sewing socks, and I'm intrigued. I have 2 young girls that would love some unique socks!
~I plan to use a stretched out sock as my pattern. I'll just cut the sock open along the toe seam and then down the sides(for a two piece pattern)or down the top middle(for a single top seam). These would be shaped socks. I'm also planning to experiment with tube socks. I think I'll have to make the ankle section a bit longer than standard and slouch the socks for wearing to sorta hold them up in lieu of elastic. I could always look for garters at the thrift store too. ;) ~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts