Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~My electric dryer is dead dead dead. My mechanic dad looked at it and suggested that it would be almost as expensive trying to fix it than to replace it altogether. New electric dryers are $400 and up. EEEEEPS! Soooo I'm looking for laundry alternatives. I have no problem air-drying our clothes year round but we have no space at all to do this unless I can be sure everything I put up to dry will be dry overnight. Hence why I'm looking at spin dryers. http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/2008/04/25/spin-dryer-saves-energy/
They seem to be getting mixed reviews. Does anyone here have one? Or does anyone have another dryer alternative to suggest?~

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I had a spin dryer I used when I was in a duplex apartment without washer dryer connections or laundry room (I moved out in September, so this is recent).

In my situation it was a life saver. They do get a lot of water out, more than your washer spin, so that the clothes dry faster. I was hand washing it all, so things were, of course, very wet and I really needed the spin dryer. It was not hard to use, but it could be a little picky about load distribution with heavier items. I had the one sold by laundryalternative.com (or something like that). It's more labor intensive, because you can't just throw clothes in it and go read a book for 30 minutes. It took a couple of minutes of spinning.

When I moved to an apartment with a quite nice, and relatively inexpensive, laundry room, I left it on the curb - where, of course, someone snapped it up almost immediately. I was very grateful I had it when I needed it. Would I want to use it all the time if I didn't have to? Not really. But it is definitely a frugal alternative to buying, or using, an electric dryer. So my experience is that they do work, but I'm old enough that I've done enough laundry in my life to want to do it the easiest possible way now - though I do still hang some things to dry.

In your situation, it could help you with the drying. After I used the dryer I would turn a floor or ceiling fan on the clothes and they dried fairly quickly, depending on the fabric, of course. Things like sheets dried very quickly. Towels, jeans, even though pretty dry from the spinner, still took a good bit longer. I wouldn't think you would have a problem drying overnight, unless, of course, you did a lot - that adds so much humidity to the air it all starts drying more slowly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts