Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to cook a fresh pork picnic? someone gave me one and i don't know how to cook it.:feedback:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just throw it in the crock pot with some garlic, onions, cover with water and cook it until it falls apart. After I shred the meat, I add bbq sauce (pulled pork sandwiches)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I do mine in the crockpot too. I trim off as much fat as I can, then put in crockpot with 1 cup ginger ale and cover with chunks of onions. I cook it on low for about 12 hours, then shredd the meat and mix in bbq sauce.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We always cooked it with onions and garlic and whatever other spices you like on pork and then add fresh green beans and new potatoes.If you want you can make a white sauce and add it to it. MMMMMMMM

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have always boiled it for a couple of hours. Then put in some veggies, like onion, potatos, carrots, turnips, etc. Its a great one pot dinner. I dont cook it very often. Only when I have a bigger crowd than my usual 3 for dinner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want pulled pork, poke holes all over it with one of those carving forks, rub it with liuqid smoke and salt, and cook it on high in a crockpot for 1 hr, then turn it down to low for 8 hours. Very good.
My grandmother makes porketta- you debone it, and stuff it with a mixture of fennel seeds, rosemary, garlic and oregano, roll it up and roast it in a 375 degree oven till it's done. Delicious.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I bake mine in the oven just like any other ham or pork roast.
Put garlic powder on it with onions and cook at 350 for about 4 hours.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I cook mine in a rotissere .... marinate it with your choice of seasonings, add garlic and cook it according to the weight and walla!

You can also just cook it in the oven (like Hollyhandi said) marinating it to your liking, save any leftover pork by shredding it and adding BBQ sauce for pulled pork bbq... yummy! :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've cooked mine in a crockpot type way. Then chill and remove some of the fat.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I put mine on the grill on low for 6-8 hours. Put it on the side opposite the flame. I normally sit it in one of those throw-away tin pans to catch all of the drippings. It helps keep the meat very moist while it's cooking. Then we make our own BBQ sauce and shred the meat. Like a good old fashion, southern pig-pickin'! It does feed alot and I don't think it freezes very well because of the high fat content.

Stephanie

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If using the crockpot to cook your roast, I would suggest cutting the roast in smaller pieces and trim as much fat as possible before adding to the crockpot. The roast will cook faster and it will assure that it is cooked through. I rub my oven cooked and crockpot pork roasts with liquid smoke and garlic powder. I then add a small bottle of good italian dressing to my roast and it gives it great flavor. If you want to freeze any leftovers, simply shred the meat and package in freezer bags without BBQ sauce. When you want to serve it, thaw meat in fridge, add to crockpot, add sauce of your choice and combine well. Heat on high or low setting (depending on when you want to serve it) until heated. Serve on toasted buns.

I do the same when cooking pork ribs in the crockpot, except I add my BBQ sauce to the ribs one hour before they are done.

Let us know how your roast turns out.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I do the crock pot thing but put the bbq sauce in at the same time as the roast/ribs or what ever.. YUMMY!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts