Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't stand the idea of paying the price for body scrub so I make my own. Here's what I do.

Take small bowl and pour in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup regular iodized table salt.
Add enough scented liquid handsoap (I like to use almond scented that I get at the dollar store) to make the right consistency.... not too runny, not too thick. You can even add a drop of vanilla extract or a slight pinch of cinnamon if you want. Wet your skin and slather on feet, ankles, heels, knees and elbows and rub to remove dead/dry skin. Rinse with warm water. I follow the treatment with a good dose of cocoa butter lotion. Boy my skin feels soft. You can make enough to last up to a week or two without it getting too 'funky'. Store unused portion in clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. Keep out of reach of kids... it' might smell good enough for them to eat, but I sure it doesn't taste so good.
For literally pennies, you've made what the stores charge $10 or more.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use this on sensitive skin like your face because it's way too abrasive. They say you can do this safely with granulated (white) sugar but I still think it's too abrasive for my face. I have heard you can use brown sugar, but I have not tried that yet. Right now I'm trying to use up some St. Ives I have on hand before making my own.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I know that we have a scrub at Bath and Body works for the face that it made with brown sugar. Also, if you can get your hands on some jojoba beads, those are wonderful for face scrub.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i use plain white sugar and body wash for a body scrub. i wouldn't use brown sugar unless you were using an unscented body wash and wanted the brown sugar smell since brown sugar is more expensive (at least here is it) and the molassas in the brown sugar doesn't add much to the scrub.

for your face, i wouldn't use sugar at all because it is rather abrasive. you can use corn starch mixed with a facial cleanser for a gentle exfoliator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you for the recipes ladies. :) I have two scrubs that I make:

Face - Baking soda and water
Face Scrub - Epsom Salt w/ Lemon Juice
Body - Cucumbers w/ sugar

I just eyeball the amounts. The body scrub I grind up cucumbers and add the sugar. I did my research on cucumbers and I found out that Cleopatra swore by it. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this is a little old, but wanted to say:
I either use a brown sugar with honey because honey is actually naturally anti-bacterial and therefore it helps with acne. Or when it's the season for pecans I'll save the shells and crush them up in my coffee grinder or food processor and add them to whatever I want to use for my scrub. I got the idea after realizing that's the scrubbing agent in Burts Bees Citrus facial scrub :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use almond oil and kosher salt cause sea salt is expensive. I use peppermint not an essential oil. It is still fairly pricey, but far less than the 60 dollars they charge at the mall.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup oil. Sweet almond, grapeseed or rice bran oil are all good choices.

1 cup sea salt. Baleine is a good choice. You can also substitute sugar, which is gentler.

5 drops essential oils. The oil you choose for your body scrub depends on the result you want. Lavender is relaxing, lemongrass is refreshing and rosemary is stimulating

1. Combine the oil and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add essential oil and combine well.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Just want to add a "heads up" for some of the ladies...try to avoid using any sugar based scrubs where they might get near or rinse into your female area...it can cause yeast infections in some.

I'd stick to the salt and baking soda ones.

Thanks for the recipes!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like to use sugar and honey from Aldi's for a scrub. It's cheap and works great! I haven't tried it with salt yet. Won't the salt sting if you have a small cut you didn't know about?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
IT's starting to get drier and my skin along with it. Here at our cabin, I've been doing a lot of cleaning and I do dishes all by hand. My hands were so sry they were actually peeling and scaling. I did a baby oil and salt rub on them and ---smoooooth. Then, some lotion after. I know baby oil is not the best, but it'll do.:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.