Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got to stay home while the kids are in school and DH is at work (which this never happens) and get ahead on the spring cleaning. I work full time and now being home today I think that I am missing being to home full time or even part time. I am going to STRONGLY think about cutting back on my hours and work part time and enjoy taking care of my home and family like I use to. Is there anyone else that feels the same way? If so are you ready for a change also?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I made the change last July. Quit working my job, and stay at home, I got on the sub list in our local school district and have been subbing full time the last month, but now it will go down to 3-4 days a week for now. I actually hate the working part, not because I am lazy, it is just that our homelife and my marriage is much healthier when I don't work. You'll have to read my new thread I just posted for my situation at the moment. I wouldn't mind working if I didn't have children at home, I have a 20 year old, that attends a local community college, and will graduate in May, she hopes to find a good job, if not, she may continue her education, I have another DD that is getting ready to graduate from high school, and will be attending college, majoring in NeoNatal Nursing, then I also, have a son who will be 14 years old, and in high school next fall. We have crazy schedules with school activities, and church activities, and me being home full time makes life better.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I would give anything to stay at home! My dh wouldn't hear of it though.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I, also, would love to be a SAHM, but since I am a single parent I must work. Seriously, thinking about working nine days every two weeks instead of ten after pay off car. I would still be full time and still have my full insurance benefits.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It really is an individual thing. I was a SAHM for many years, then went back to work part time. It really took a toll on my family (I have three kids...18, 16,12).I ended cutting back to on call hours and it's much better. I know some moms have to work full time, I know others who prefer to work over staying home. If you can afford to be home and you really want to, you should do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i work part time now but would love to stay home full time. my DS is 9 and I am realizing that he does not need me so much anymore. I was a SAHM for the first 8 years of his life.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm plugging away and crunching the numbers every month to do just that. It's my main financial motivator. DH is scared that we would just "survive" if I quit to be a SAHM right now.....and his fears aren't unfounded. I'm ok with just the basics (beans & rice, biking, walking, no cable) my three guys are not. So we're working to get things to where I can at the minimum take a year or two off of real employment to be home with the kids. (shhhhhh...I plan on keeping everything going so smoothly he won't want me to go back, at least till both kids graduate) The original goal is to get the morgage paid off and then only one of us will have to either one of us could work full time or we could both work part time and pay all the bills. I don't know if I want to be that patient so we're putting a backup plan in place while still shooting for paying off the morgare. None of them mean I get to quit and stay home today but that's what I've been working for.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I miss being a SHM and homeschooling the kids. They miss it too. The divorce makes it impossible to go back to it. Things were bad with the soon-to-be-ex but we loved the closeness and running the house went smoother than it does now. However- we joke if I ever win the lotto that is what we are going back to (not a possibility as I don't buy tickets- lol).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also would love to stay home with my children, as I did before their father and I separated. My kids are 12 and 9 now and even though I am only working part time, have some flexibility about my days and hours, it is still hard on all of us.

I am still searching for something I can do from home, have some income and be happy. Is there such a thing???

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I work part-time at night and I'm just now getting used to it (I've been doing it since August). Now, I look forward to going to work. It IS hard though, as most of the time my husband and I are passing each other--he's coming and I'm going. Some days I wished I worked more because I crave the adult time. Overall, for us it's a great balance. I think when the boys are in school full time I'll be working while they're gone and my hours will shift a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts