Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if re-elastic is a real word. I have a few pairs of socks where the elastic seems to be worn out at the very top. The socks tend to slide down. (Sometimes only on one sock of a matched pair.) The socks are otherwise in good shape.

I am thinking that maybe I can rip out a couple stiches in the cuff, insert a tiny bit of elastic and sew it back up.

Has anyone tried something like this?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
When we were in high school, back in the age before dinosaurs, knee high socks were all the rage and sometimes the cuffs at the top weren't too reliable. We would put rubber bands at the top and fold a cuff down over them. You have to be careful the rubber bands aren't too tight, but it held the socks up nicely. I don't know if it would work with shorter socks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I remember an uncle during WW2, he always wore sock garters - they fit above the calf and a single strap went down to the sock cuff. The clasp had little knob and a metal 'paper clip' that slid over the knob. The paper clip pinched the cuff material when slid over the knob.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Sd-that sounds dangerous.
But seeing they are special to you. What about that elastic thread they use for beads. Do they still make that for seed beading? That would stretch but hold,not shrink in the wash. I may not use the dryer on them then though.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
We use to do the same thing with our knee socks, all of us had rubber bands at the tops! I was the rage in the 60-70's lol and yes you know right away if they are too tight, just get a bigger rubber band.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes,as long as the material is still pretty thick.I use the thin elastic thread,in and out around the sock.I also do a total of three layers around each,so the one strand doesn't do all the work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think I'd bother, but if they're comfy, special and mean something to you then it wouldn't hurt to try.
I buy cheap socks so I personally wouldn't. I remember putting elastics over my knee socks when I was younger also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts