Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the hardest time finding a grocery store that I like. I like Walmart for the fact that they have good prices and I can get everything in one stop, I really like that. What I don't like is the crowds, I always end up with 2 shoppong carts and then have to hurry up and get everthing up there so I can take my cart and start putting my stuff in my cart again. I have tried Food Lion because it is closer to my house. I like that they do all the bagging, I don't even have to unload the cart and it is never crowded. What I don't like is the prices are kind of high. I like Savalot but I don't like there produce. So I was thinking about trying Kroger. Kroger is the only store around here that doubles coupons. Does anyone else shop at Kroger?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You are lucky Kroger does doubles! We have Fred Meyer (Kroger) and they do not double. They do have decent loss leaders and their store brand foods are very good. Ours has reusable bags that you get .05 credit for. And they bag your groceries. Check their ads and coupons and give it a trial run.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I find Kroger has the tendency to be hire priced on things like Food Lion. I don't shop there on a regular basis, but I will go there when they have a really good deal on something that we use often.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Kroger only doubles coupons 50 cents or less. I shop there though and like it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kroger is where I generally shop. I get my basics there as well as the specials with coupons. I hate shopping at Super Walmart because it's so big! Plus, they don't double coupons. :elf:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I shop at Kroger - it's my favorite based on my choices.

In my opinion, Kroger prices are better than Walmart.

They will double coupons, (.50 and less) they have great sales, they have many store brand items. they have 'manager mark downs' near exp. day so I can usually hit the bread isle and stock up on loaves for .25 - .50 and toss them in the freezer. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Our Kroger doubles dollar coupons, but I find a majority of the time they are higher priced anyway. And I do not buy produce at Kroger, it's always expensive and old :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't like Walmart either, and limit myself to 1 trip a month if possible for things they don't sell at other places.
Kroger is the best place for deals I find. I don't like however, their meat or their produce. I like somethings organic, so I find Traders Joe's has the best prices for those sorts of things. Also I hit Aldi's for the other half of things, like canned goods and dry goods (not meat or cheese).

·
Registered
556 Posts
mom buys from krogers most of the time. sometimes its meijers or super walmart. with jason it will probbably be the same, will just have to wait and see after we move in with him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I shop at Smiths (Kroger) for the majority of my shopping. What I dont get there I usually buy bulk at Costco.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have found Krogers to be more expensive then WalMart. So I remain at WAlMart. I wish we had Aldis here.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I buy some loss leaders at Kroger just about every week. I like their brand of items and have found that a lot of them are reasonably priced. However, I also shop Food Lion and Walmart for a few items. Keeping a price book has helped me a lot with knowing where to shop.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have my list for Krogers sale that starts tomorrow.

Last week I had shelf price 98.00

OOP 48.97

I usually can find some great buys on clearance produce one time found 5 dozen organic eggs on sale .45 and left about 15 dozen for others looking for a bargain:chef2:

This week I have a couple of things lined up to get free with my coupons.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
We have 3 choices in our little town: Super Walmart, Aldi and Kroger. They are all in the same block! So utilize all three. Walmart is my usual stop as I can do other shopping while there and prices are not bad. But the produce is tired or bad. I like to get my produce at Aldi. Theirs is always fresh and affordable. I get coupon items and specialty items at Kroger. They carry some items or brands that the other two do not. So we don't have a lot of choice, but it's enough.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We have Fred Meyer here, same parent company I think. I like them the best out of my 3 choices here (Safeway & Albertsons being the other 2). I just hit the other 2 stores for loss leaders I can use...

Our FM doesn't double, none of the stores here do.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I really like our Kroger and shop there a lot. They may vary from region to region, as from store to store. Ours have nice produce and sometimes some good sale prices on it. I'm closer to a Super1 that across the board may have somewhat lower prices and some really great loss leaders, so I use both. Our Kroger triples coupons to .39 and doubles .40-.50, so that can make up a lot of difference. Also I've recently started getting the senior discount, 10% off all store brand items, which is another inducement. (There are a few good things about getting old!) If I'm in Walmart, I'll pick up a few things, but I too hate the crowds and the size of the place.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I really like our Kroger and shop there a lot. They may vary from region to region, as from store to store. Ours have nice produce and sometimes some good sale prices on it. I'm closer to a Super1 that across the board may have somewhat lower prices and some really great loss leaders, so I use both. Our Kroger triples coupons to .39 and doubles .40-.50, so that can make up a lot of difference. Also I've recently started getting the senior discount, 10% off all store brand items, which is another inducement. (There are a few good things about getting old!) If I'm in Walmart, I'll pick up a few things, but I too hate the crowds and the size of the place.
Oh you are so lucky my Krogers only doubles ! That really helps but would love triples. There is one that super doubles and I do travel to that once in awhile when I find a great deal to stock up on.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Hey Jen- I live pretty close to you if past posts serve my memory correct although I'm not quite sure how far out you are from Louisville.

Anyway I use to shop Kroger pretty religiously and still go every once in awhile. They run pretty decent sales and if you can get to the point where you can cherry pick you should like it.....of coarse you have to get the "card" though, which I find a pain. I switched from Kroger and do my main shopping at MEIJER after they opened because they double as well and they're produce section is huge and awesome and thier deals go just as good as Kroger...sometimes better.....sometimes they triple coupon. ..... If you're not hours away from Louisville you may want to make the treak once a month or so. There's one on Dixie highway close to the Gene Synder (841 I think) and one on Preston Highway by the Gene Synder exit as well. Both of these are on the outskirts of Louisville. You can see thier ad on line.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i shop at kroger all the time...one of my fav places to go..they almost always have great deals.

i only shop at meijer for their sale items

·
Registered
33 Posts
"My" Kroger is 20 miles away, so I go if there are enough exceptional deals to make it worth the trip. I have never been disappointed in the quality, and my dh and I used the trip to spend time together, but it has not been worthwhile cost wise to go for several weeks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts