Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here I go again........does anyone use or have they used the binder method for coupon organizing? I currently and always have used a rubbermade shoebox type box for my couponing but after dumping them today in the cart :mad: I am thinking about the binder.My question is......is the key a zipper binder?TIA
Denise

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I would love ideas on organizing too, I used to keep mine in a recipe box, but have dropped it a 1000 times, now I just go through it before I go to the store and put them in an photo book that Carolyn sent me, you know the kind that comes from Walmart when you have pictures done. That is great for that, but for organizing them overall I need ideas

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
for me the key was those baseball card pages! I also had some that were for pictures for larger coupons. I just used a reg binder with them.
I had clear dividers wiht lables for the months and kept every thing in there in cluding my list and calculator.
It was very handy and got lots of compliments! Plus if there was a clearance on something, I had all my coupons with me, so there was no "O man I shoulda" to deal with!:D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i just use a regular binder as it is what i already had in the house. for me it is the baseball card pages that make the difference too. eventually i what to put tabs on them so i can find the pages easier, but for now i just have the catagory name in the top right hand pocket of the page so i can flip through it really easy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys!!Keep the suggestions coming ladies:D
TIA
Denise

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I use an accordian style organizer but I like the idea of a binder(heck i use one for everythingelse anyways why not coupons.LOL you guys made me laugh about dropping your coupons.One sunday I went into Kroger to get the paper and the sunday double said over $700 in coupons so I got 3 sunday doubles(a total of 6 papers)Well I didnt' use a basket and just carried them out and the thingy that holds them together busted and they all fell to the ground,finally after about 5 min of people watching me in the parking lot(right where you drive infront of the stores(not by the curb but in the middle of the road)a lil ol lady helped me and put them in her buggy and took them to my car for me and then i put her groceries in hers.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Amanda...that sounds like something that would happen to me!! :D

Thanks for these tips ladies!! I need to get started with my coupons again...it's been weeks since I've gotten any!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I used to use a binder with baseball card pages. It was when I was at my most organized and was doing the most trading. Unfortunately, that was when I was on maternity leave. When I went back to work, I had to scrap it because it took up too much time to organize, so I now use an accordian folder for my own coupons and trade all the rest in large potlucks. With summer coming, though, I'm thinking of pulling out that binder again.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I use an accordian check file..... I've tried lots of things and this works best. I lable each section for what I need. Mine has seen a lot of action. Dh asked me to get another one, they are about $5.00 each, this one I got at a yard sale for .10c last year, I told him I'd cover it with contact paper, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that on acoupon file....... LOL

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I use a binder with card pages as well. For section dividers I got some 2 pocket folders, cut them in 1/2 and punched holes in them to fit in the binder. Each section starts with a pocket! I have the coupons in order of expiration date. Once a week I pull out the expireds and put the new ones in. Oh! I used velcro dots to fasten a calculator to the front, I put dots inside for the calculator as well.

I make my shopping list on the back of an envelope, and pull the coupons for those items and put them in the envelope before I leave to shop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow some great ideas thank you!! Well I set up a binder last night:eek: I ended up using the big report sleeves,its what I had....lol!! And I had a zipper binder.I just need to put the coupons from my box into the book now. I figure they are mixed up in the box no different in the sleeves.Hubby came home from wotrk and I was working on "creating"it and he said"ya know what would be great for that?baseball card pages".....lmao!!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
lol
i'm not as organized as karen with the expiration dates, but i do pull out the ones i know i will be using and put them in an envelope like she does. if you decide to use baseball card pages, walmart has them for a little less than 2 dollars for a pack of 10 pages.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Those are great ideas for coupons!
:)

I used to file them in a shoe box...and I also dropped once or twice, but in my car...and now I file them in a expandable filer(small) but most of my coupons are all mixed up in a large ziplock bag...sniff...:( I need to organize them better...I'm always looking for them. lol

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I use a binder and I really like it. I don't forget about coupons that are going to expire soon anymore.

I use a zippered 2" mead binder and I always have plenty of room. I only put the coupons that I think I'll use. The ones for trading go into one huge vinyl pouch thingy.

I ordered my baseball card holders online since we couldn't find any in stores over here that had them. They work wonderfully. I even ordered some pog sized holders that work good for those tiny coupons.

I have in in alphabetical order, but all the "Hot" coupons/rebates and rainchecks go in the very front so I won't forget them.

So after those pages it goes baby, baking goods, bread, canned, cereal and so on..
I've just memorized their placement and don't use tabs.

Took a lot of time to start it up, but the upkeep isn't so bad. Except for weeks when I can actually use a LOT of the coupons that came out ;)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I just changed over from an accordian type one to a small photo holder last night. I went to 3 stores today and it worked so much better! :D It would take me forever to shop when I had to pull all of the coupons out of a section to see if I had a coupon for a certain item. I do pull coupons I know I'm going to use with my list before I leave, but for those unexpected "deals" you find, it makes finding the corresponding coupon so much easier!

Heather, do you still have the web site for the baseball card holders? We have 2 Walmarts, and neither one carries them. I really wanted a binder with the baseball inserts. TIA

·
Registered
47 Posts
well I've used the binder method for a few years now and I've had my method published in Refunding Makes Cents and have the details of the method of such posted on several websites. It's detailed on my website too.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I also use a binder and the baseball card holders. I have not yet put dividers inbut think I may have to since my kids help me file coupons and some of them end up in strange places!:laugh:

Today DH even took me dumpster diving for coupon inserts at the recycling center! We scored big time!!! I keep telling my husband I must live a real exciting life when finding multiple inserts is my idea of a good time! LOL!:D

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
THANK YOU !!! Thank you all so much, I use one of the small accordian files but after reading all your tip I am trading up to a binder!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Thank you Heather! :thanx:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts