Frugal Village Forums banner

does anyone use a menu planner?

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Palooka 
#1 ·
I have used a menu planner for awhile. I write what the breakfast, lunch and supper will be for the week then I keep it in a binder. When I have those "blocks "where I can't decide what I want for supper I just look back over my weeks and months and already have a menu planned out. This helps with the grocery shopping too. And saves on groceries.

The kids like it and saves me from losing patience with the question of what's for dinner. I keep the current week's menu on the fridge for all to see.

There have been times that I may not want what I have planned so I have switched supper around from the original day I was planning it. But no matter what, whatever is planned for the week, we have it that week.

I can also plan outings, appts, etc and have easy meals to fix on those days.

I was just wondering if anyone else did this.

Reactions: beks37
#2 ·
I plan out a month's worth of dinners. I don't plan out breakfast or lunch, though as the little ones are getting a little I may start planning lunch a little better. Usually breakfast is oatmeal or cereal and sometimes eggs.

I just planned out the next 4 weeks, because we have $60 left for this month for food. (It's a tight month) By using the stuff in pantry and freezer, we will only have to buy milk and bread. I have a list for tomorrow that only comes up to $24 - including milk. we still have 2 loaves of white bread and 2 wheat in the freezer. To make all the dinners for the next 4 weeks, there were only about 5 things we would have to buy. I'm really glad we have a stockpile!!!

#3 ·
I had something like that, but I only planned dinner... breakfasts and lunches are always the same, so I just write it on the side

#4 ·
I use a spiral notebook, but I like the binder idea.

I plan out dinners and weekend lunches. Other than that, I have options for breakfasts & lunches for the week. So I can look and just let the kid's decide together what they want to eat for breakfast or lunch.

It works well for us, I have grocery lists attatched to each week too. So, if I decide later on that we want to use the same menu then I can just grab the grocery list for it. Although, that doesn't happen to often, becuase usually, we eat whatever meat has been on sale. And nothing is ever on sale at the same time! :)

#5 ·
I plan out a months worth of dinners at a time. I keep track of the menu, in word file and transfer it to a white board in the kitchen. I also print out the recipes for the month and tack them to the white board. Then I am already to cook.
I find that when I plan, I save money and time.

#6 ·
I'm not that organized. You guys are pretty darn efficient.

I plan out dinner and weekend lunch. Breakfast is pretty low key during the week cereal or toast and pancakes/french toast on the weekends.

I take left overs or sandwiches for lunch with yogurt and hubby isn't a lunch person, so really we just have dinner.

I have a bit of a stock pile but generally menu plan around what it is on sale and have a few standbys so that I am not committed to anyone meal on any particular night.

It is easier now that it is just DH and myself. Trying to plan anything around field hockey and winter and spring track for DD was a nightmare sometimes.

#9 ·
Just tonight I took out my spiral notebook or I use printables to plan.

It's hard for us because we all our on different diets.

I am changing this up a bit. Planning out the meat for dh for the month and menus with that. There is no certian days but will buy the meat with a basic menu plan.

Pick up all the extra's bi-weekly and plan for the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.