Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
There should be a date on the flour............friend keeps hers in the freezer.......I don't have room. Have used it a year past date.

If bad........just won't work.......and when mixed, the item won't raise.........or do what it should.

Plus...........more danger for BUGS.......the longer it's kept.

Keep in airtight container..........

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Freeze it first if possible, that will insure that you don't get bugs. When packaging put into 1 gallon glass containers, or 5 gallon food safe buckets, with a few bay leaves.

White flour will be fine, if getting whole wheat it can go rancid due to the oils, keep in the fride or freezer.

You might want to look eventually into a grain mill, and whole grain, white soft ( for baked goods ) hard winter wheat ( for bread making). Will last forever, you can package with oxygen absorbers, more nutrients as most flour loses it freshness after so many hours. Buying the wheat kernels is so much cheaper. Hope that helps.

As for yeast keep large amounts packaged in fridge or freezer.

As for sugar I get organic 25 pounds at time package in 5 gallon buckets and is fine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you freeze it, make sure it's air tight. Something in my freezer was leaking, and some moisture got into my 50 lb bag of flour. Oh my what a stinky stinky mess.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
If it is kept dry it can last a year. White flour doesn't really go "bad" but it can pick up moisture and odors that will give your food an off flavor.

Whole wheat flour has oils in it that can go rancid in as little as 6 months.

Self rising flour has leavening agents that will deteriorate in about 10 months time.

Flour is cheap, IMO it's not worth keeping a lot of it around for a long time.

Sugar is good as long as it stays dry.

Yeast you want to use by the date on the package. It's alive and it will die.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I bought 25 lbs of Self rising flour last year. I separated it into gallon ziplocs and froze for 72 hrs. Then added bay leaves to ea. bag. Then put all the bags into a 5 gallon bakery bucket w/a lid. It is still just fine. But I can see that I did buy too much at a time and will buy a little less in the future.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Whole wheat flour can go bad quite quickly. White flour will last longer.

Sugar will last forever as long as it is kept dry.

Yeast must be kept refrigerated, and has a definite shelf life. Check the label. It is a living organism. If you keep it long enough, it will starve and die.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
How much flour do you go through? We go through about 150 lbs of flour in a year. I keep it in two buckets with gamma lids. I buy it in 50 lbs bags. I also feed three teen/preteen boys.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I bought a bag of flour a few weeks ago ,went to use a few days ago to make cookies and t already had those bugs in it . I took it back to the store and got a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.